“Mix of character and modernity in central Sydney”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed in the "heritage" section that user to house the Sydney central post office. This section of the hotel has retained some old world charm while spotlessly clean and with modern bathrooms and furnishings.

The location is very central in Sydney city and makes a good base from which to explore, and a quiet haven to return to. The main location downside is the Westin doesn't have harbour views, which is a shame in a beautiful city like this, but it's close enough to walk to the harbour and certainly cheaper than some hotels with front row harbour views.

On a weekend morning, there is very little open nearby, so finding breakfast away from the hotel is a challenge. That said, the hotel breakfast is very good so it's only a question of price.

Staff were efficient and polite, though not particularly friendly. There's good restaurants nearby such as Postales tapas bar, that we have since returned to just for the food.

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed three nights in a suite --- lovely views. The first suite had a dirty bathroom which I noticed immediately; toothpaste on the vanity, some gunk on the sink faucet, smeared and water spotted mirror and hair in the bath tub. I called to report the findings and someone was sent up right away but instead of coming with cleaning supplies to remedy the issues, she came to investigate. She then left and returned with the cleaning supplies.The in and out and the fact we could not freshen up in our bathroom for thirty minutes was mildly irritating. After the cleaning person broke the shower sprayer and called maintenance to repair it, I insisted we be moved to another room. The wifi was not available in the rooms (500.00/ night?? - puhleese) so we had to trek up to the 28th floor where we experience an incredibly slow connection. We did not have better luck in the "business center" on the 6th floor -- a windowless room not much bigger than a small walk in closet. The last gripe is when I requested no maid service for the duration of our stay. They told me that they would oblige the no service but that an agent would have to come by daily to inspect the room -- they said for "security and well being" -- what??!! When I pressed them on this I was patched to the manager who just reiterated the mantra "security and well being" with no explanation. When I pay over 500.00/night at a hotel of this caliber I expect some privacy. Let me say we were two Americans traveling with a ten year old child. Security? Really? AMERICANS TRAVELING WITH A CHILD IN SYDNEY. Other than these annoyances, the views were lovely, the beds Westin comfortable, and the service in the Club lounge quite nice. The staff we encountered were friendly and accommodating and the location of the hotel was good although I would have liked to be closer to Circular Quay. All in all, I wouldn't stay here again -- the cleanliness of the room might have been a one off but the wifi was unacceptably slow and the security and well being policy was a complete invasion of my privacy and ironically, my well being.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank worldtraveler_1037
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We booked this hotel on Wotif and (from previous reviews) were slightly concerned that service would be somewhat lacking.

We were quite happy with check in staff, however it was a bit annoying having to wait for the concierge to leave our bags while we shopped and waited for our room to be ready - the wait was probably ten minutes.

Anyway, once we got to our room we were happy with the quality of the room. We had no view except over the inner part of the hotel, but I'm guessing the more expensive rooms have a nicer view.

Had a look a the room service menu which was ridiculously priced (even for room service), so decided to eat out.

Checkout was easy and staff helpful in organising a taxi.

Overall, a good deal if you get a discounted rate.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I am afraid my review of hotels in Sydney will have to come to an end as I have found what I was looking for at the price I want to pay. $229 bought me a night of sheer comfort.
I stayed in my room for as long as possible, lazed around in the huge bath while classical music was piped through the speakers in the blond marble bathroom, had a long hot shower in the beautiful rain showerhead shower area, lazed around in my robe on the king sized bed with the soft fine linen and the ample supply of feather pillows, got take out from one of the many food outlets and watched a movie. How fantastic is that!
This place is central, close to everything important in Sydney. Shopping, restaurants, the harbour, the ferries, the buses, the trains......
The gym is well equipped and is shared with local membership so there are classes as well. The pool is perched above everything, like an attic pool. Its small but okay if you are desperate to get some laps in. It only has two lanes so best to get there early or late.
If you can get this room cheaper than what I did it will be the bargin of the century.
The staff are extremely efficient and professional.
This place restored me after a hectic week of travel. I felt like I was enclosed in a comfy world revolving around me.

I bought my ticket on Expedia.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BellaOlive
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We are visitors from the UK touring Australia. We landed in Sydney with great expectations and were not disappointed. Train transport from the airport (cheap and efficient), a short walk from the station to the Westin Hotel. This sympathetically rennovated Grand Post Office, combine with the modern glass additions is fantastic. We occupied a Heritage room the size of our bungalow at home! (slight exageration). The room had three enormous windows and high ceilins.. The decor was first class. The walk-in closet and large modern bathroom was excellent. The reception area is up there with the best five star hotels we have stayed at. The best, most professional staff we have come across. A close knit, efficient team. THE BEST.

Room Tip: Heritage rooms .