3,632 results
All reviews martin place clock tower heavenly bed heritage room mosaic restaurant old post office gpo building tower rooms rain shower spg member circular quay business hotel health club the executive lounge beautiful hotel room service star hotel
Reviewed 27 December 2014

We stayed here for 1 night in a Tower king room. As noted by other reviewers, the location is fantastic and the building has beautiful heritage features. Whilst our room looked out to the clock tower, the chiming didn't bother us. The bathroom was large and well designed with a separate tub and overhead rain shower stall. However, the toiletries are generic brand only. The main part of the room looked slightly dated by comparison. The air conditioning worked perfectly and was not noisy (a problem in many hotels). This is where the positive points ended for us. Front desk staff seemed a bit disengaged in general; far less personable than other 5 star hotels. Worst of all was our dinner in Mosaic restaurant. Here I think we were unlucky with the service team on the night as I have dined here on several previous occasions, and whilst the service here tends to be on the slow side, this time it was plain unacceptable. The main meals were very slow in arriving, used dishes from the starter course remained sitting on the table throughout the meal and water glasses were not refilled. It was the sort of dining experience I would expect to encounter at a suburban cafe, not a major CBD hotel. Upon reflection, there are many better dining options in the vicinity at that price point. When I made a complaint upon checking out, the front desk staff member was not apologetic and made a point of telling me that I "still had to pay for the meal" - not that I refused to do so beforehand. She was also very reluctant to provide details for me to make a complaint in writing.
Sadly for a supposedly 5 star hotel, the only enthusiastic/friendly staff member I met at the hotel was the porter.
There are a number of other similar hotels in the area to consider if you want the full 5 star experience.

Room tip: ask for a Tower room
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank MsC1
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2014

Dear MsC1

Thank you for posting your further comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We trust you have received our previous correspondence addressing your concerns. We are sorry we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 27 December 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately a few things let this five star experience down. Firstly when we checked into our two rooms at reception was a printed paper telling all guests some facilities like the pool are operating at "restricted times opening at 8am and closing earlier than usual" however the entire stay the pool was actually closed due to apparent "hot water issues". Other guests said staff advised them they were understaffed. Secondly we asked for a paper in the morning (which was offered by the hotel) that never arrived. Thirdly when I asked Phillpe from guest services if we could have free wifi to entertain the kids as they could not use the pool; we were told "I cannot authorise that" that was it, no sorry no I'll put you through to Management. Apart from those issues raised above; the hotel is absolutely beautiful, the rooms are stunning and check in/out is a breeze.

1  Thank ChristieJ756

Dear Christie J

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback online. Service is certainly an integral element of any experience and we are disappointed we have failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. We regret to learn you were affected by the unforseen closure of the lap pool part the privately owned GoodLife Health Club last week. We also apologise if our team’s efforts to assist with your query for complimentary internet was perceived as unwilling as it was certainly not their intention.

We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2014

One of our favourite places to stay in Sydney.
Sadly, no beautiful harbour views; but for the city location, the meld of the modern with the traditional architecture of the original building is really something.
We have been staying here for years. We have experienced both the modern smaller rooms, and the larger; but older-style rooms....the ceiling heights and corn icing are amazing.....very different styles.
Sometimes it is booked out (it is very popular). So reluctantly we have to select another hotel...and opt for a beautiful view.
The dream beds are one of our favourites.
The downstairs bar/coffee shop would benefit from a new menu, or a couple more options.
Venturing to the swimming pool is also recommended! It is upstairs & indoors...worth an explore.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear FJ_traveller_07

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are grateful for your loyalty and delighted you enjoy the architecture blending the modern 31 storey tower with the historic former General Post Office via the stunning glass atrium. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Reviewed 26 December 2014

I'm a huge fan of Westin's heavenly bed and this stay reminded me why. The bed is extremely comfortable and I don't feel like I'm exaggerating when I say I believe this is what it feels like to sleep on the clouds.

Check-in to the hotel was seamless. Receptionist added my SPG card into the account and provided me with a copy of the updated hotel information during the festive period. I believe the pool was closed and change of hours for certain facilities during the Christmas period. No issues there. Went up to the room with no fuss and once inside, I was very impressed. The room is very spacious and it feels luxurious. Bathroom looked great as well. I have absolutely no complaints about the room itself, how many I do have 2 complaints about the cleanliness.

After taking a shower, I took 1 of their bath towels to dry myself off. Luckily for me, I had a sharp eye and noticed a huge (and trust me, I'm not exaggerating) piece of lizard faeces. At least it looked like lizard faeces and not rat faeces in between the folds of the towel. I was so disgusted at it that I laid out the other towels 1 by 1 to check if they were clean. Thankfully they were. I quickly called the service desk and told them about this. The lady was apologetic and service to change the towels were prompt, however it was a sight that I would have preferred not to see.

The second problem was with the carpet. Someone had spilled or left something on the carpet and it had gotten hard and crusty. I purposely did not complain about this because I wanted to check if housekeeping would have cleaned it the next day. Unfortunately they did not. I left it at that as I was checking out the next day anyway, I just made a mental note to not walk on that area.

The Service Express service (for lack of a better term) is excellent. I felt like a valued customer that I only had to go to 1 place for any issue or problem. All calls there were promptly answered and dealt with. I have to commend the hotel for this service. However, the front-desk and concierge staff weren't all the friendly. I'm not sure if this was because they had to work during the festive period, but out of 6 people spoken to, I can only recommend 3 of them and they were both from the reception. They were both extremely polite, friendly and welcoming. The rest of them were not a fair representation of the hotel.

For non-Sydney-siders, the location of this hotel is great for shopping. It's a stone throw away from Pitt Street mall, Myers, David Jones and Sydney Westfield.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kev_Shin

Dear Kev_Shin

Thank you for detailing your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are appreciative of your comments and naturally disappointed you were not totally satisfied with your experience. Thank you for your comments regarding the level of cleanliness of your accommodation room, this is very disappointing and certainly not indicative of the service we strive to maintain. Please rest assured this has been addressed accordingly with our Executive Housekeeper. We were also sorry to learn of your interactions with our Concierge and Front Desk Associates however pleased to read your comments in recognition of our Service Express team. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2014 via mobile

With the amount of traffic major CBD hotels get, it's not surprising that things can get a little tired, dated and worn. The Westin still holds its own but I think it's on the cusp. The rooms aren't that far away from needing a tweak. The bed was good and all amenities were fine.

The Westin's location, though, is hard to top.

The bar was only average, a bit disappointing because they can be a real differentiator in hotels these days.

Service was good and a late checkout accommodated with no fuss.

We chose the Westin to mix it up having stayed at Sheraton on the Park last time and would probably go somewhere else next time.

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank A380FlyBoy

Dear A380FlyBoy

Thank you for conveying your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney and we regret your experience did not quite meet your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.