“Poor accommodation but good location!”
Review of Woolbrokers Hotel

Woolbrokers Hotel
Ranked #126 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The room was cheap for a spot very close to Darling Harbour so location-wise it was great.

The bad news is that the room was awful. It smelt mouldy, the curtains did also have a layer of mould along the bottom of them. There was a fan but no aircon, the room was dirty and cramped - it had a random selection of furniture in that looked like it came out of a charity shop, there was a dining room table but no wardrobe or dawers just a hanging rail and about 3 large chairs with a bed pushed up against the wall with thick blankets on (it was the middle of summer!), the carpet thin and lumpy, I tripped over the wrinkles in the carpet most mornings! The room was at the front corner of the building next to the traffic lights which beeped all night and kept us awake. I have stayed in nicer hostels, and this was like a hostel rather than a hotel. There were plently of showers and toilets however because they were shared people did make a complete mess in them, and the aroma was pretty pungent if you didn't get up early (which we did after day 1 for this reason!) The shower head in one room fell onto my fiances head and the tap in another fell off in my hand, the base of the bed also came apart one night and we had to put it back together - we did joke that we were staying in Fawlty Towers!

The positives:
1. It was cheap in a very expensive area
2. They have a luggage room so let us store luggage there on our first and last days.
3. There is a washing machine and dryer (watch out for the temperature on the dryer, don't set too hot - I managed to shrink all our socks, I didn't even know this was possible!)
4. There was a fridge in the room (had to clean it with face wipes as it was really dirty however!)

If they were to invest some money in doing up the rooms then it could be very pleasant but as it is it's tired and grubby and whilst cheap is not a particularly pleasant place to stay. They offer breakfast for a fee but we didn't think it looked worth it, dry cereal, toast and juice - if you turn left at the (noisy!) traffic lights and walk up the hill there is a great little coffee shop that does breakfast wraps, eggs benedict, bacon rolls and a great flat white fairly cheaply (for the area - everything is expensive so relatively cheap!).

If I were to go again I'd probably plump for the nearby Novotel and pay the extra as although we weren't expecting luxury we were expecting it to smell nice, be clean and quiet which it wasn't, so not a great start to our first visit to Oz; out of the six weeks this was the worst place we stayed (unfortunately for 4 nights too!). In summary a disappointing stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emz71

Reviewed 20 March 2011

Just got back from a weekend in Darling Harbour and staying at the Woolbrokers and I had a great time! My room was awesome! Clean, tidy and in a perfect location!
Can't believe how cheap it was!
I am totally impressed and will be telling EVERYONE how great it is! I will def be staying again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank wenddd
Reviewed 15 January 2011

The staff were great, really helpful, and the location is ideal. Our gripe is that the rooms had a bad smell, there was mould on the window and curtain, the shower curtain had black mould and brown stains on it, and we itched every night from only what I can imagine were mites of some sort. Our 2 year old had bite marks all over his neck and back from them. The other down side for families with young children or the elderly is that there's no lift, so expect to do a lot of walking up and down stairs with strollers and prams. A shame, because the staff were really friendly.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Minol
ManagerJohn, Manager at Woolbrokers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2011

Please note that based on your review we inspected all our rooms and found no evidence of any problems regarding either cleanliness or bed bugs. Being an old building we always ensure our rooms and bathrooms are spotlessly clean. Regarding your son's itching, please be sure to contact anywhere else you may have stayed prior (or also if you took any buses or trains, these can sometimes have problems) in case they have a problem that needs addressing.
Regards, Management

Reviewed 5 January 2011

I booked a room for myself and wife after viewing the rooms on the internet. There was no mention of shared facilities. I expected to get what I could see.
What we got was a smelly room with 4 bunk beds and grey blankets. There was a sink, one chair and a table. The toilet was right outside the door and the showers upstairs. They looked a like shearer's beds.
They refused to refund my money or even part of my money. We left and had a great night at the Novotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Duyfken

Please note that this guest booked the wrong room online and, when denied a refund, let us know that they will be posting negative reviews despite being informed that the mistake was theirs, not ours.The room online clearly listed shared bathroom and was underlined for emphasis, the bunks are brand new and hotel quality. I'm afraid it seems the guests expectations were out of line with the price paid ($95, when our nearest competitors are $250-300)- we offer clean, basic accommodation in a prime location for people wanting to stay in the city but not break the budget, and our prices clearly reflect that.
Regards,
Management

Reviewed 29 December 2010

We arrived very early in the morning on our first day in Sydney, after a 23 hour flight from the US we were tired of hauling our bags. Happily they stowed them in their office for us, and gave us directions to Darling Harbour! Oh my goodness! We crossed the street and were right on Darling Harbour...for 89 dollars a night! There were dozens of restaurants, the aquarium, water taxis, IMAX, Maritime Museum all within 5 minutes walk.

After 5 hours of sightseeing we returned to the hotel to check in...the sad little awning on the door does invoke a sense of "youth hostel" from my early days of traveling, and the staircase once inside likes to creak loudly (and goes up and up forever), but the rooms had sinks and refrigerators so we were able to shop at the "Woolies" (woolworth's) and have food in our rooms. The rooms varied dramatically, but most had second hand tables and older tv's...however, we were in Australia to see Australia, not watch television or be pampered in our rooms.

The staff was friendly and very willing to assist with taxis, directions and advice. We fell in love with Darling Harbour and Sydney, and we couldn't have afforded to stay so close to the harbour anywhere else. If you are a fancy traveler, have a bad back or are a light sleeper, skip this hotel. But if you like an adventure, love to walk about and don't mind sharing a bathroom (in some cases) it is THE BEST VALUE IN AUSTRALIA!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple