“School trip”
Review of Woolbrokers Hotel

Woolbrokers Hotel
Ranked #129 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I am writing this review from the view of a school group of seventeen 9 to 12 year olds accompanied by a teacher and 7 parents. Well all I can say is thankyou Woolbrokers for making our stay a stress free and well supported one.

Our group was on the top floor (of which we had the whole floor to ourselves) this meant that we had the 3rd floor foyer to meet in and prepare the children for the days/evening events. The bathrooms were shared, but clean and plentiful and the rooms were large. Our hosts at Woollbrokers kept the children happily fed and even arranged packed lunches for each of the days we were there. This included catering for some quite tricky allergies. Only complaint with the food, was that the bigger eating dads accompanying the children left the dinner table a bit hungry due to the small (child size) serving of food.

Our room was a double room and was a little noisy, but we were in the centre of town (only a 2 minute walk to Darling Harbour) so that made up for it. The rooms could do with a bit of a spring clean and a good paint job, but remember we are talking budget accommodation here.

Would highly recommend this motel for a small school group due to location, room orientation and staff support.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank denhamia

Reviewed 8 September 2012

I am in year 6 and came from near Coffs Harbour. I stay in motels very reguarly with my family. After reading reviews here I was worried about sharing a bathroom with the floor. It turned out to be alright. It was relitively clean and comfortable furniture. Negative was the road noise, one time I woke up at 3:30am due to a loud truck. The other members of my room woke up from that aswell. There did seem to be a draft from the window as they were wooden and weren't fit to be practical, just from the olden days when things used to be better. Taking bags up stairs didn't help either, having packed for 1 week, carrying heavy bags up stairs really hurts especially when there is so many stairs in sydney. Food was acceptable but you didn't get to choose dinner, maybe that was because I was with a school group but for breakfast, you had to toast your own bread, no yoghurt, canned pineapple and peach and cearal. Only orange juice. The staff was helpful and friendly. Didnt have any pool or anything to do at the hotel except sleep and eat.
I wouldn't stay for as long as a week probably 1 night because when you get a little amount of sleep and it is a holiday as such it kind of ruins it when you are tired. Dining room was small, broken chairs and tables put together to cater for a room of kids. Floor creaks whenever you walk and the upstairs is very loud. Needs soundproofing. Toilets were alright. I was on the floor above ground and there were 3 shower and toilets and 2 toilets I am pretty sure and didn;t have to wait. But when there is public people they might not be as considerate. Doors were heavy and made noise when they shut because they didnt fit properly. TV was old with few channels but coloured so that was fine. Bunks were noisy but singles were excellent :)

Would only recommend for a school group not for a family looking for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on level 1 as no lifts and be careful about the noise on the floor above you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blake B
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I arrived during a heavy storm and got to my room and was pleasantly surprised by the good constant hot shower pressure, warm room and the general comfortable feel of the place. It was an extremely short walk to the monorail station, town hall train station and is right next door to Darling Harbour. The receptionist was great tryng to explain how the parking discount worked and next time I come back to Sydney I will be staying here again. Cannot fault it for price or its fantastic location and for the traveller looking to save a bit of money whilst staying at a decent place, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Go the $7.50 breakfast in the morning. Good value and its as much as you can eat
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank homebake
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

I would expect to pay half of what I did for this place. We had to carry our bags up three flights of stairs. Toilette and shower are shared for the floor - and i had to hold the shower head up. The water pipes made freaky noises throughout the night and the bunk beds we're even worse!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank WazJTee
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have stayed at Woolbrokers B&B Hotel in May 2012 for a couple of days. I was looking for a single room for a rather low rate, which I had found.

From the airport Sydney it is accessible via Metro and then Tram, works well.
The staff was friendly. The Hotel has`t been refurbished since ages. Not even the simplest investments to make it more comfortable have been made.

The room was veeery dark, no sunlight coming in, I couldnt even tell if the sun was shining or if it was cloudy outside. There would have been another room with a lot more sun light but also more noise from the road. And the queen sized bed mattress had two deep pits/dents from the last decades of people molding them. Veeery old mattress.
The room in the first floor where I stayed had a queen sized bed (mattress was soft but o.k.) and a shared shower and a shared toilet on the floor.
The room smelled old and musty, letting fresh air in helped only for minutes. The room`s window went to the narrow gap between two buildings, in this gap the hotel`s old fridges were running all night, very noisy.
The worst was the shower curtain. It was covered with black mold and was sticking together. One was watching out not to touch it more than necessary. The cleaning personell avoided that obviously as well. Shower itself and the small sink were clean.
A good thing was the laundra room, where one can wash cloths for 3 dollars and iron them as well. My shirts didnt`get really clean however, but that might have been the wrong machine setting or cheap washing solvent.
I have no idea if there are better places for this rate in Sydney. I hope so. However, I can`t really recommend Woolbrokers unless someone is in a hurry to find something last minute and that`s the only one to find, like in my case.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo