“Great food, presentation and service at a five star hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Galileo Restaurant
Cuisines: Australian, French, Japanese, European
Good for: Romantic
Lillian, Alabama
“Great food, presentation and service at a five star hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

We stayed at the Observatory Hotel in March and had one of the best meals of our travels in Australia. For dinner, we tried the 5 course degustation menu and every course was delicious and beautifully presented. Since we were staying at the hotel, we also ate breakfast there every morning. The service was outstanding no matter what time of day. If you are visiting Sydney, I highly recommend this restaurant as well as the hotel.

syndey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great attention to detail!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

Had dinner here recently (2nd visit) with 3 friends and had a really great evening! We went for the full degustation including matching wines and it was so enjoyable that we literally were the last people left in the restaurant when we had finished dinner. Of course it wasn't mentioned nor were we rushed at any point. The staff were overall discreet, very knowledgeable and were able to tell a great story about all the dishes (not to mention the sommelier Christian who seemed to know every single wine on the extensive list). All the plates very beautifully presented and my favourite dish was the Baby Abalone Salad, from the spring menu. The bill was reasonable considering we had a 7 course meal, fantastic wine and even got a bonus dessert with great tasting macaroons and a Happy Birthday written in chocolate. One of the staff must have heard that we mentioned that it was my friends birthday (it wasn't mention when we reserved the table). It is this kind of attention to detail which means I will definitely be coming back soon!

1 Thank mimo2Syndey
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Oustanding degustation menu - every single dish was world class. And the wines to match very equally fantastic, not to...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

Oustanding degustation menu - every single dish was world class. And the wines to match very equally fantastic, not to forget the impressive way the wines were presented at the table, with elaborate details of the region, grapes, wineyard, vintage and what to expect of the tast. You SHOULD go here as soon as you can!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
sydney
“Best night out I've ever had in sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

My partner and I dined at Galileo last week. We would just like to say thank you very much to all the staff there for giving us such a wonderful experience! Our highest compliments to the chef and kitchen staff. The degustation menu was brilliant! To Christian, our Sommelier, the wines were a perfect compliment to each of the dishes.
The waitstaff were willing to help in every way whilst remaining unobtrusive. We were delighted by the unexpected down to earth nature yet highly professional demeanor of all the staff from our arrival to our departure. We can not thank you enough for showing us such a wonderful evening. I could not disagree with the last couple of reviews on here more.
Thank you very much. We hope to see you again in the near future.

1 Thank mhing
Bondi Junction
“The wheels are coming off this operation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

It gives me no joy to report that I concur with the previous reviewer: Something is going seriously wrong at Galileo. My partner and I had dinner there on 5 May, and what started out as a shaky service fell to pieces by the end. Yes, the room is classic, and certainly the service is eager ... but it is not effective. Overly-solicitous when we wanted to be left alone, yet utterly ignorant when we needed something, and there was no coordination between wine and food service. (At one point we sat for ten minutes without a drink!) Thus our glasses of wines which we picked to go with our starters arrived far too early; then when our mains came, the bottle of red we had ordered and had opened was no where to be seen, as everyone's wines are kept on a central table and the poor wine bloke was run off his feet giving his spiels about this wine and that wine. (And while he was earnest enough, he also tried to upsell us on a wine twice as pricey as the one we selected, from a wine list that is far too expensive. Likewise the $20.50 for a Plymouth martini in the bar was a bit rich, especially compared to proper cocktail bars i.e. Bayswater Brasserie).

And then the food. It seems like they are trying too hard to do high-end food at too low a price point (we did the $49 two-course), and then making it up on booze on the one hand and haphazard service on the other. Not that the food is what it should have been: the oyster amuse-bouche was very nice, thank you, but the crab mille-feuille was underwhelming on the palate, and hardly substantial. That small an amount of food needs to be backed by some bold flavours. It wasn't.

For mains I had the venison, which was fine (though two small tiles of meat was, again, on the small side) but underwhelming. The real debacle came with the lobster my partner had: firstly, the menu described it as coming with a bisque. This had a bit of a watery, oily, separated sauce around it. Worse, it was overcooked -- so overcooked it was crunchy, and needed to be sent back. Which then took 20 minutes, during which time I sort of played with my food, and they even brought out some carrot soup for my partner to eat in the interim (how long does it take to fire a lobster tail anyway?). Anyway, take two was nice, but still not a home run ... perhaps a double, if I may use a baseball analogy.

Certainly after all this the staff were very apologetic, and we got more sorries than the Europeans on Barack Obama's last tour of Europe. But in the end, it was just a not very impressive meal that we paid about $250 for, including wine and drinks. We eat out regularly at a diverse range of restaurants, and while we understand busy businesses fall down here and there, this was something else entirely. There didn't seem to be any real direction on the floor or in the kitchen, and this needs to be sorted out urgently if this restaurant is going to be anything more than a tourist trap.

3 Thank CarbonDogg