“Maybe a bit harsh as the food was good”
Review of Alfonsino's

Alfonsino's
Ranked #28 of 392 Restaurants in Darwin
Price range: US$4 - US$34
Description: Alfonsino's is serving traditional pizza napoletana, hand made pasta', authentic antipasti and desserts.
Reviewed 8 April 2021 via mobile

Maybe a bit harsh on the stars for this review as we managed to squeeze in a booking at the last minute but in comparison to the Italian meal the previous night it’s chalk and cheese.

Pizzas were excellent. Mine was the prosciutto pizza with Buffalo mozzarella. Meat was good and the ingredients fresh. The other pizza was the sausage, also good. The other dish was Bolognese pappardella which was also good.

Good Italian wine.

Now the tiramisu test. Flying colours at this venue. A good Italian tiramisu. A little sweet for my liking but compensated by the coffee soaked sponge.

Dropped a star though on the service. On arrival we were told the table was booked for 8pm and had to leave by then. Also in ordering we were told because of this our entree would turn up with the mains, although we sat there for a good 20 minutes waiting for our order to be taken. A shame as the food is good.

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (186)

Reviewed 5 April 2021

Run by Italians.
Has wood fire oven pizzas.
The food is delicious - we had (beef) carpaccio and a capriciosa pizza & sausage pizza.
Our drinks were spritz wine cocktail and a glass of white.
Price is mid range.
Ate in their outside back area.
Is busy even mid week

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 3 April 2021

My wife was organising a milestone birthday dinner for me and after the vandalism issues that Alfonsino's had recently endured we decided to go there. What a mistake. Upon arrival at 6.30pm for our booking we were seated and given menus and after a short while our drinks order was taken and the drinks arrived. After around 20 minutes with our menus closed waiting to order food, we motioned to a staff member (not doing anything) that we'd like to order and were told that the lady with the pad and pen would get to us soon. After anther 10 minutes we asked another staff member (who delivered some more drinks) if we could order our food and were told the lady taking orders (only person doing this) would need to do this. This is after she had been to 2 other tables who were seated 10 minutes after us.
Now if I go to a fine dining restaurant, I understand that tasks are performed by specialists but Alfonsino's is an outdoor pizza and pasta cafe. If you aren't doing something to serve a customer then do something that is - normal customer service!! Finally after about 30 minutes our food order was taken. The sardine entree was ok and then about 25 minutes later the spaghetti carbonara and the beef ragu calzone arrived. The calzone was uncut and when we asked for something sharp to cut it we were told nothing was available and the lad walked off. The carbonara was a complete disappointment as it was runny and nothing like a true carbonara. The calzone had very limited beef ragu (hardly any) and a few pieces of pasta (a weird combination). The salad had a big lump of mozzarella that was hard and had to be cut, not like a soft buffalo mozzarella we were expecting. We were persisting with the limited wine list (they should be BYO and charge a high corkage) and were about to order another drink prior to seeing what desert was available. Remember we were celebrating a milestone birthday. At which time the lady who refused to take our food order came to our table to tell us that we had to leave because they had another booking for the table at 8pm as it was 7.55pm. AT NO STAGE were we informed that as we booked at 6.30pm we had to be out by 8pm - not when my wife booked, not when we arrived and were seated by the lady who booted us at 7.55pm - NO ONE told us at any stage. So this celebration of a milestone birthday was a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT and we won't be back and I have already told at least 20 people how ordinary the food, the wine list choices and thee service were and will continue to do so. Stay well away from Alfonsino's.

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank paulrM3204LQ
Reviewed 17 March 2021 via mobile

We ordered 2 small pizzas, the Gamberi with prawns and cherry tomatoes and the calzone with pasta inside. The Gamberi only had a very small amount of prawns and didn't taste at all like it had garlic or basil in it.
It wasn't cut into serving size pieces at all so we did it ourselves. The base is very soft, to the point you need to eat it with a knife and fork.
The pasta in the calzone was unusual and I felt it didn't work as a filling. I ordered it as I wanted to try something different.
On a positive note, the service was polite and gave good advice as to serving size, though I wouldn't say friendly.
We ordered 2 small pizzas and shared and it was enough as the calzone is a bit more filling. If we'd ordered 2 regular pizzas I'd say you'd need a salad or dessert.

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 25 January 2021

Myself and my boyfriend visited here today on a glum rainy Monday in Darwin and left happy with full tummies!
We got the share board for 1 as a starter and it was huge. The meat was delicious and the bread was fresh and soft! We also got some olives which were so juicy!
We shared a carbonara and white base pizza, both incredible and very filling. The pizza dough was very authentic being cooked in a proper pizza oven.
We then shared the tiramisu after seeing so many people rave about it on other reviews, it was lush but I was SO full so make sure you save room for it!
We washed that all down with 2 birra moretti’s each.
I would highly recommended eating here, we walked in at 5pm without booking and was lucky to get a table, i would recommend booking if planning on going later or on a weekend :)
Our bill came to $130 which we thought was very reasonable for the quality and amount of food!
(The only thing I would say they could improve on would have been more mozzarella with the starter share board as we did pay extra for it and wasnt enough with the amount of bread and meat ratio, but that is me being picky!!)

Date of visit: January 2021