“CAFE 63 IN HAMILTON BRISBANE (OR ASCOT, BRISBANE) IS THE CENTRE OF BRISBANE'S UNIVERSE 24 HOURS A DAY”
Review of Cafe 63

Cafe 63
Ranked #233 of 5,006 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2018

Café 63, in Hamilton, Brisbane (or Ascot, Brisbane, depending on where you think one or the other start on Racecourse Road) is the centre of Brisbane's universe 24 hours a day. One of an army of happy and efficient young staff will seat you at a rustic table indoors or outdoors, deliver you a bottle of still or sparkling water, and if you order coffee it will be there fast. Three huge coffee machines work day and night (well, in the small hours, it's probably one coffee machine). The menu is also huge, the $4 bacon and egg roll is famous, as are other meals from waffles, steaks, fish and chips, the super famous $10 Green and Gold burger with chips, and it goes on and on. Whatever you want, whatever the combination, they will work to please. This place knows the secret: environment, fun, keep the customer happy, and value, value, value: never mind the fact that the Ascot and Hamilton squattocracy live in the place, as someone once said: a rich man knows the value of a dollar (or is that person?). And the wine and beer are good quality and well priced at $7. When you order a Peroni (or other beer), it's served with a chilled glass! How lovely it is when the beer is served with a chilled glass anywhere and it should be law. Sundays, there can be well over 200 people having coffee and breakfast. Café 63 in Hamilton is a major reason why I chose Brisbane when I went in search of a warmer City on the east coast (though Brisbane is well over 20 kilometres up the river from the coast- just in case the travel brochures with beaches lead you to believe there's a surf beach on the door step like in Sydney). There are also flowers there: and on mothers' day there was a paddock of flowers for the customers to buy on the day of days at 63: I reckon there must have been 300 people, tables bunched together with families. So, if you awake at 2am and think, "I feel like a coffee," you can fly around the river (at 40ks), have a coffee, and if you're lucky, the papers might have arrived - but usually at 4am. And there's the Financial Review! But watch for it: there's a race to get hold of a copy over the other offerings. Now, if they had the SMH, (and Sun Herald on Sundays), I wouldn't have to travel over the Story Bridge to read it at the Story Bridge Hotel (but I would, anyway, as the waitresses are always great people there, and the miniature Sydney Harbour Bridge- the Story Bridge, is a true delight to travel over visually and you can almost touch the CBD; just on the Story Bridge, the Brisbane City Empire aka The Council, need to reduce the speed to 50 and write on each lane: give way to left and right). To return to the SMH - Sydney's version of The Age in Melbourne, there are a couple of other little hideaways where I can get a paper over coffee other than the Mail or Aus, like the Double Shot, but I digress.. Did I hear you ask about the Brisbane Times? Sorry, no longer on paper! It should be in inner Brisbane! If you're heading to or from the airport you can always grab a coffee at Café 63 in Hamilton (and avoid that terrible tunnel by using Nudgee Road). It's got character, you might say it's a fast food joint with tables, but it is truly the centre of Brisbane's universe. Give it a try for the experience.

1  Thank JohnFairDobinson

Reviewed 29 April 2018

After being a regular customer and local to the area since this original Cafe 63 opened, I will not be returning. I visited the morning with my young children for breakfast. We had dressed lightly not realising how cold it was. When we requested to move table out of the wind, there were no tables available so we waited patiently. Then, a nearby table of customer got up to leave and I told a waitress that we were moving tables and pointed to the table. Not a problem. Whilst moving my gear and young children, a different rude waitress came and said, "This table is taken". When I explained that we were cold and that the other table was available, she proceeded to tell me, "No, this table is reserved for a VIP". Like I was a not a worthy customer. So we moved to a different table and settled down. Whilst we ate our meals, still quite cold, we watched the reserved table for these "very important people" sat empty. No VIP's arrived. In any case, these "not very important" customers will never return.

As a side note, the quality of the service and food at this cafe have been on a steady decline since they commenced franchising.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We stopped here today for a quick bite to eat after a movie. The turkish bread and wraps were great - very flavoursome with just the right amount of seasoning. The service was quick and the price, reasonable.

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

Service here was quick, the atmosphere was relaxed with lots of walkers and locals dropping in for breaky, the menu is extensive. I had the Bircher Muesli which was lovely, the bacon and eggs were large so if you are hungry then this is the place. Prices are good and the coffee fantastic.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

The food is ok here, but i have concerns re the use of plastic water bottles, and lots of other plastic in their service. Even woolworths and coles have recognized we need to improve our environmental awareness, environmental protection for marine life. So many plastic water bottles end up in our waterways, rivers, and oceans, killing so much of our beautiful marine life. Please reconsider your use of these plastic water bottles. Customers are happy with tap water in jugs. I asked for tap water in a glass and the staff were very confused with this request and why i would decline a plastic bottle of water. Please think of the future for our younger generation. Because of the poor environmental awareness and consideration, i will not go back