“Here's the brief: Stay Elsewhere”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 15 January 2016 via mobile

Stayed here because I used points. That is the only reason. It's definitely not a 5 star hotel. I did like the staff. I found them both helpful and friendly especially (Cindy) I believe that's her name. The only redeeming qualities other than the staff were the views and the breakfast. Everything else left much to be desired.
1.) There are tiny bugs/ants in the room EVERYWHERE. I told the front desk about it and they replied with "yeah we know it happens often" umm ok so...how about you fix the problem then.
2.) The wifi DOES NOT WORK in the room. I stayed on the 7th floor and no dice. I was counting on wifi access as I didn't have phone service because traveling from US.
3.) The room itself was not very clean and felt a bit dingy.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2016

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor and for providing us with your valuable feedback.

Firstly, I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay and I would like to sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you experienced; rest assured I will share your comments with the team to ensure an improvement in the areas where we did not meet your expectations.

In the meantime, I am pleased that you were happy with the staff and views from your room and breakfast at Café Sunrise.

Once again, thank you and I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

John Lucas - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,382)

Reviewed 14 January 2016

For a 5 star property this is in dire need of a revamp.. Why do hotels rely on a name and become complacent?. The service here was dreadful, ie :none.. At the date we visited it is prime time holidays and yet the lobby bar was closed.. So much for those pre-dinner drinks we had organised with friends!!!! Needless to say we spent our money elsewhere.. The pool are is old, dingy and unimpressive.. Australia really needs to take some lessons from the overseas resorts.. Overall rating, I would class this a 3 star not 5.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2016

Dear Denise,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

I was disappointed to read that you experienced some shortcomings during your stay and I sincerely apologise. Your feedback will be shared with the team to ensure an improvement in the areas that you mentioned. Your valuable feedback is important to us as it is a tool that allows us to review our quality and standard of service as well as our guest offerings.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel for a more positive experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

Was a little apprehensive after walking into lobby. Nice bit thought may a a little dated. I was very pleasantly surprised when we got to our room. Stunning Harbour view and modern and clean. Do not like the fact that I am a Hilton honors member and I don't get free wifi. It is $9.95 per day! I was not at all impressed with that. We just left Parkroyal Darling Harbour with free unlimited internet. For price of these rooms that should've ashamed charging $10 a day for in room wifi. Restaurant is good. Location is nice.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with Hilton Cairns.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your room and marina views from your balcony. We have a little slice of paradise here in Cairns and I'm glad that you go to experience this.

I am sorry to read that you did not receive free Wi-Fi during your stay. Booking through our direct channels enables us to anticipate your arrival and deliver the best experience possible, including our best price, backed by a guarantee; HHonors Points and Stay Credit; on-property benefits; ‘Digital Check-In’ and Choose Your Room, and of course, complimentary Wi-Fi.

I do look forward to having you stay with us again!

John Lucas - General Manager

Reviewed 12 January 2016 via mobile

It is not a 5 star hotel this what was in too rooms black mould they changed rooms but the next room had mould as well the money you pay for the rooms is not worth it not happy they was so well they got cleaners to clean the bathroom but still not up to standards rooms should not be given to people who paid good money for rooms should not have to put up with it

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborahstewart1960

Dear Deborah,

We very much appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologise that you were not satisfied with your room on this occasion. Please rest assured our team take every effort to ensure the rooms are presented well and I do apologise that this wasn’t the level you expected. I will forward your comments onto our Executive Housekeeper for further investigation.

I do hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future for a more pleasant experience.

Reviewed 11 January 2016 via mobile

Like every hotel in Cairns this hotel is on the old side but what it lacks in modern rooms the people who work here certainly make up for it. From the nice man who quickly grabbed our luggage out of our taxi, to the kind and helpful front desk, the restaurant employees, Erica at the tour desk to the woman who brought us a hairdryer to our room in under 10 minutes. All genuinely caring and extremely friendly. We had a deluxe king with balcony on the water (facing east) and though old decor it's comfortable with a safe, mini fridge, bathrobes, comfortable bed (but on the soft side), nice TV with good amount of channels and we had free Wi-Fi because we are honors members and we booked through Hilton's website (you MUST book directly on their website to get free WiFi). The hotel lobby is pleasant and modern with comfortable sofas and lovely views. There is a lobby bar but I never saw it open. The Hilton is a very quiet peaceful location at the end of the esplanade which is lovely but hard to get food other than hotel restaurants (2 restaurants plus a breakfast cafe open 6AM to 10:30AM) so make sure you check out the hotels menus to make sure you like what's on it. We like to bring sandwiches , bottled water and snacks up to our room after a long day and found this impossible because there is no onsite store to get this and to walk to the city center just to get these items was far.
Tip if you arrive in the hot summer months DON'T get a room facing the water (facing east) because you could actually feel the heat 5 feet from the window and the air conditioner couldn't handle it making our room warm and we were unable to open the drapes from sunrise to sunset but if you find it irresistible to get the waterfront room you will be able to see and hear the spectacular sounds and sights of parrots every night around 7pm. Another Tip: Book your tours through Erica at the hotel's tour desk. She is wonderful and very patient and will pick the right tour for you.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Lisa

Thank you so much for your extensive review.

It’s great to read that you enjoyed your visit to Cairns – with a particular emphasis on the hotel’s great location and our helpful friendly team.

As our guest, your feedback about your experience is vitally important to our business.
Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.