“Tastes great”

A-Lure Fish Cafe
Ranked #419 of 667 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Thai, Fast food
Reviewed 29 April 2016

This is our local fish & chip shop, we frequent it often and are generally happy with the quality of seafood and portion size of chips. Sometimes the portion size can seem different but overall, it's always a good meal we look forward to.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The Cafe has a predominantly Thai staff and a full Thai takeaway menu.
I didn't have a menu in front of me but called to order a chicken tom yam, pretty standard and requested to have noodles put into it because a Thai lady was taking my order. If you're Thai this is not unusual, it's a pseudo Guaytiaw Tom Yum Gai.

When I got to the counter to pay the man didn't really know what to put into the register, I told him I ordered a chicken tom yum.

He looks at the menu and tells me that "tom yum is seafood, yum means seafood. The tom kha is chicken"

I looked at him bewildered, he has a full kitchen of thai women and is presumably married to one too, not to mention he runs and owns a thai restaurant. I told him that I'm half thai and before I could continue he bursts out " AND YOU DONT KNOW THAT?" in front of other customers. I paid and shook my head and walked out, I've waited 15 minutes longer than I was told I'd have to and I'm not going to waste my breath. Clearly he's convinced.

Yum is a flavour, it's spicy and sour, gai means chicken, and talay means seafood. Any thai food aficionado that doesn't speak the language knows this. I don't really understand why the white guy is trying to tell me he speaks my language better than I do and tries to shame me at the same time doing it.

Either way the soup didn't taste or look like either a tom yum or a tom kha and the whole experience left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Needless to say I won't be returning, I don't need to have this kind of experience when I go to pick up food from a take away shop.

8  Thank MarieN22
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Friendly old bloke runs this fish and chip shop that benefits from local fishing to provide an awesome selection of fish incl mackeral, coral troat and barra. Family also does a selection of Thai curries and meals.

3  Thank unfalln