“Super pizza, exceptional service”
Review of Sassi

Sassi
Ranked #17 of 132 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Price range: US$15 - US$36
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

We arrived without a reservation, they found us a table in the restaurant and then another table in the bar as we wanted pizza.
They then got us a salad from the restaurant menu to go with pizza, and even boxed up our uneaten slices when we finished.
The pizza itself was proper Italian pizzeria standard, the best we've had in a long time.

1  Thank Hayden_Birmingham
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Although we visited last year, I felt compelled to balance out the vicious attack on Sassi by the woman below with my own experience.
The food we we both ate was delicious, and the wait staff were all engaging, friendly, and looked after us well. Not at any point was there anything to criticise.
Ignore the ramblings of miserable people that think the world owes them whatever they want, and try Sassi out.
You'll enjoy it!

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My advice - when you see this place, just walk pasta.

If you don’t want kids at your restaurant, the Kids menu and high chairs are a bit misleading. My daughter stayed in her high chair for the entire meal and we cleaned the table as we went. We arrived at 5.30pm, so not peak dining hour? We sat out the back, out of the way and had a lovely chat with our fellow diners. They were even remarking on how well behaved she’d been.

Interesting that you were happy to let us consume three courses and wine, before essentially forcing us to leave. Shame on you. I could elaborate, but it’s not worth my time and I’d rather keep my spleen intact. Such a horrid ending to the evening, when our actual waiter had been so lovely. The families around us were equally unimpressed.

You don’t get many opportunities to go for dinner with your dad and your daughter. This evening ended on a very sour note. Unfortunately, it will be remembered for the wrong reasons.

I wasn’t going to write a review but wanted to ensure others don’t have the same experience as this has really upset me.

I’m sure there will be some sort of patronizing reply. However, no matter how you frame it up, it was very poor behaviour.

4  Thank Becmeowbudd
Di S, Owner at Sassi, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

This is by no means a patronizing reply nor a ‘framed up’ one. Rather it is an accusation of delusion. From the time your table was seated – and by the way you chose the table – your child was screaming loudly and then throwing food. The wait staff patiently put up with it but when one table asked to be moved and then another left, saying they would 'come back another time!' (as all outside tables were occupied and inside tables at a distance from yours were occupied) you were asked to kindly placate your child. By this time you had been seated for 2 hours and completed your meal.

After being politely asked if you could placate your child and failing to do so, you were presented with the bill. You had consumed everything and finished all beverages. Your father then demanded the owner or manager and, not contented stood and proceeded to abuse the waiter who had asked for the child to be placated. The manager then intervened and suggested you put your complaint in an email. Again, your father continued finger pointing and delivering abuse. After leaving he stood outside laughing while you stood in the middle of the restaurant holding a still screaming child.

We have not been in business for decades because we are rude to customers or awful to children. We serve hundreds of families with children every year but reserve the right to ensure that ALL diners can enjoy their meal without the interference of out of control children. It is highly unlikely that anyone of our customers would ‘have the same experience as you’ because most are more considerate of people around them. You seem to think otherwise or, as appears to be the case, don’t care or are oblivious. I’m afraid the shame and poor behaviour lies with you for unacceptable conduct.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

My family and I saved this restaurant for our last night and we weren't disappointed - the food and service was excellent! We'd highly recommend it!

1  Thank Macbob99
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere with attentive staff. Adults food was amazing - lamb cutlets special was melt in your mouth! Kids had fish & chips - large servings. Overall a pleasant evening.

1  Thank justash7