“Please read reviews before eating here.”
Review of Billy Baxter's Coffee House - CLOSED

Billy Baxter's Coffee House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 21 March 2015 via mobile

We made the fatal mistake of forgetting to read trip advisor reviews before eating here and we really paid for it.

First we were sucked in by the big sign saying "kids eat free with meals over $18" fair enough we thought it was written in big bold font and next to it was a range of specials that looked appetising ranging from steak chips and salad for $9.95.

We ordered all our meals there were 7 of us, 4 adults and 3 kids, we made sure all our meals were over $18 so the kids could eat free.

The meals came out and they were horrible! One of the kids meals was spaghetti and it was way over cooked and tasteless even for a child, 2 adults ordered the steaks & they were virtually inedible, full of griddle and just real cheap cheap cuts they also came out under cooked to what we requested. The other 2 adult meals were chicken Parma & Caesar salad which were both ok. The other 2 kids meals (burger/chips & nuggets/chips) were passable.

Now comes time to pay, and the kids meals are included on the bill, when challenged the waiter told us to go to the bar and it would get fixed up. When we approached the bar the manager informed us as we only ordered 2 mains not on the specials board that only 2 kids meals would be free, even though the other 2 adult mains were well over $18. When challenged by us, the manager immediately became aggressive and extremely rude & he informed us to open our eyes and read the terms again. He was right, in small print, on the board way out of the way of the kids eat free sign was a message saying if any meals are order off the specials board they would not be free. This was fair enough however we did not appreciate the aggressive manner the manager displayed to us over an additional $9 meal. If the meals had of been nice I wouldn't of bothered writing a review but the meals were horrible the service was horrible. The only good thing about this place is the atmosphere on the street.

PLEASE PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE!

1  Thank Ausc

Reviewed 1 December 2014

Great place for breaky. It was so busy but the service, food & price were good. Hench the busy I guess :)

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The location is great. However so many places in Surfers try to present an American feel. The key word is try.

The customer service is horrible and as an American we got the impression they prefer serving Australians. The coffee was burnt and the food was expensive and bad.

Date of visit: October 2013
1  Thank Hw S
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My partner and I popped in here for lunch today and walked out after, wishing we never bothered. We ordered onion rings to start which came on brown wiltered leaves and a drink each which didnt come till after our entree was served.
My partner ordered a chicken burger whilst I ordered lasagne, although im not entirely sure what was on my plate seemed like it was layers of plain pasta sheets with some odd sauce chucked ontop, no bechemel sauce and again brown leaves. It tasted and looked aweful. My partner got served dirty cutlery after asking for a clean set he might as well not bothered... He had to eat his meal without luckily it was just a burger which he couldnt even manage to eat all of.
Looked like the waitress didnt even want to be there and as for the girl making drinks her uniform was so dirty im not sure its even seen a washing machiene and who wears flip flops whilst working at a restaurant?!? Very unprofessional and i wont be going back.
Yes the girl did take the lasagne of our total bill but really? Should that have been served in the first place? Disgusting.

Date of visit: May 2014
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The service was well and truly below average. I received a clean fork wrapped with a knife that was still covered in dried sauce. I asked for clean cutlery but it never came, nor did a napkin. The entree onion rings were ok for a pre done item but the garnish lettuce was about as brown as a boot. After a 15 minute wait for two soft drinks they finally arrived. Clearly the bar tender only makes the drinks and doesn't run them. The mains.... Chicken burger with chips is a big noooooo unless you have a sentimental relationship with your toilet, I have a strong stomach but it got the better of me. And the other main, lasagne. How do you get this wrong. Here's how to make. Mince, pasta sheet, bechamel sauce, pasta sheet and repeat bake with cheese on top. Clearly the chef got this wrong, his recipe is 6x sheets of pastry, a layer of thin bechamel every second layer, a big scoop of what may contain mince but looks like Napoli and a sprinkle of cheese on top. I normally sample all meals but I was instantly turned off. After my girlfriend couldn't eat it I tried it and have regretted it since. The girl did take the lasagne of my bill but I was tempted to just walk out half way thru as the food was inedible and I'm sure the non exist ant waitress wouldn't have noticed. It's disappointing that not two years ago this place was packed every service

Date of visit: May 2014