“Wonderful, relaxing & children free!”
Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Wonderfully situated resort with a minimum 16 yrs guest policy so in the middle of the Easter holidays it was blissfully free of the screams and cries of young children. When we walked into our pool pavilion (pavilion #5) we were dumbstruck by the floor to celing windows and the stupendous view across the sound separating Hamilton from Whitehaven Island. We were told that in the whale season you can lie in bed and watch the whales go by. Our pavilion had a large deck with a private plunge pool, big separate lounge area, huge bathroom, etc - all well appointed and nicely finished. Great service all round but guest services staff were especially helpful with some of our more challenging requests for day trips and boat hire. We'd previously stayed at Hayman Island but Qualia knocks the spots off it - there is so much more to do no at the resort itself and on Hamilton generally. The main restaurant has views over the islands and is a nice spot to hang out for cocktails before dinner. Menu is limited but of good quality and you can ask the chef for other meals if you give some notice. Pebbles restaurant is more casual and right on the private beach.

You have your own electric golf buggy to drive around the resort and island - which was really useful getting up the steep hill to have sundowner cocktails each evening at the lookout just outside the resort. Things we did during our stay included:
Beach drop off with a picnic hamper - us, a long sandy beach, a beach parasol, towels, mats, snorkeling gear, a luxury picnic and nobody else - bliss;
My wife had a 2 hour spa session and really enjoyed it;
Sailed the hotel Hobie catamaran around the bay by the hotel;
Hired a Sunsail yacht for the day and self-sailed out to Whitehaven beach and Chalky's bay;
Went to Whitehaven on the Outer Edge catamaran - great day out;
Shopping and restaurants in marina area;
Chilled out beside our private pool and enjoyed room service!

We spent 8 days, could have stayed longer if we had the time, and had one of our best holidays in a long time - we shall be going back.

Room Tip: Pavilions 4, 5, 6 & 23 have fabulous views
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David16Melbourne
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear David16Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at qualia. The private beach drop off is one of our most popular Signature experiences for good reason and you’ve summed it up beautifully.
Another Signature experience that I highly recommend that you try next time is the helicopter transfer to Hamilton Island Golf Club. You will be picked up at the qualia helipad and take the ‘scenic route’ to the Hamilton Island Golf Club, the only course in Australia to completely inhabit its own island.
I’m delighted that you and your wife had such an excellent holiday and I look forward to welcoming you back to qualia soon.

Warm Regards,

Michael Shah

Write a ReviewReviews (1,361)

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I am currently staying at Qualia with my husband. The service so far has been impressive, our room exceptional and the facilities fantastic. We have travelled to many exceptional hotels and had many amazing experiences so does Qualia live up to these? In many ways , absolutely! In terms of variety for meals, Qualia does lack. This is not a criticism by all means more like a bit of feedback. Pebble beach restaurant is only open for lunch, the view and location is amazing and it's just a shame that it does not open for dinner with a more casual menu. Long pavilion is sensational and I cannot fault the food or service BUT we struggled to get in and had to really push to get seated at a time that suited us. What really bothered me was that their were guests from other hotels dining when Qualia guests were being turned away or been given a later dining option. We were able to be squeezed in but we as guests should not have to feel that way. If there was another dining option lets say at pebbles we would at least have another choice. We had great difficulty also getting into other restaurants on the island which was no fault of Qualia but maybe they should advise you of this upon check in? Apart from this, come here and visit the beautiful resort for yourself. In many reviews there are comments that the staff are young and immature, I employee a lot of young people and the Qualia team is the creme de la creme. James who matched my wines so perfectly. Erin who always was bubbly and helpful. Lisa in the day spa! What a beautiful young lady. Lisa upon check in so professional. Don't listen to the reviews that say anything negative about the team they are great!

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Leisa T
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Having just finished a 5 night stay at the resort I think I got a good feel for the place. My expectations were very high but it claims to be 6 star and is in the top league price wise so I think that is reasonable. I have visited quite a few places in the same category so I am comparing against other top end luxury resorts. Qualia I think sets a new benchmark for quality of accommodation in Australia. I stayed initially in a Leeward room and then, when it became available, spent the last 3 nights in a windward room with the plunge pool. The leeward was beautiful spacious with great views. The windward took it to a whole new level. Really very special. Had the gourmet package as I knew there weren't many good restaurants on the island. The food included for dinner is excellent (unlike a previous reviewer I am a harsh judge where food is concerned). It is Australian fusion which is like nouvelle cuisine based on a fusion of European and Asian influences. The not included Pebble beach lunches are also to a very good standard and standards were maintained throughout our stay. Allergies were accommodated without resorting to the old you can have the salad approach. The one complaint was that menu changes were minimal. Most resorts that encourage guests to dine in rotate the menu daily over the week or at least most of it. No rotation here so we tended to eat the same dishes each night. Luckily the seafood options were really good.
There is a downside though. Measured against the standards the resort claims the service is not up to scratch. I am sure the GM will pop on line to explain further but the bottom line is it is a mananagement problem. The staff are young and enthusiastic but many were tired from working multiple shifts and no out were pretty clueless about the step up in services levels in true top end resorts. There was still a fit the guests to the programme approach that prdomnates in 4 star chain resorts as opposed to ensure the experience is enjoyable to the maximum extent possible and tailored to individual needs. Probably I am being harsh but there are other resorts in Australia that provide the whole package (el Questro Homestead comes immediately to mind). It may just be a teething problem and hopefully in a few years time they have a core of permanent staff with years of experience at is resort under their belt.

Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank Simon T
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Simon T,

Thank you for leaving such an interesting review of qualia. It makes me so proud of my staff to hear that you think that qualia “sets a new benchmark for quality of accommodation in Australia”. We have all worked tirelessly for the past few years to ensure consistent, world-class accommodation for all of our guests and we’re all still very much committed to that. I will pass on your compliments to our new executive chef, Alastair Waddell, formerly Chef de Partie at the 2 hatted Bistro Guillaume in Melbourne. If you are interested in finding out more about Alastair, please see the Chef Bio page on our site.

I appreciate you last point about our staff, however, judging service is quite a personal matter as I note that several reviewers, including Porter051 recently wrote in another review “ We had excellent service throughout our stay”. I’m sorry that on this occasion our service did not meet your expectations. qualia’s staff are carefully selected from a large group of experienced hospitality professionals and I believe, are among the highest quality staff in an Australian resort. They are committed professionals, and yes many are young, but many are also graduates or are completing the Certificate III in Hospitality, the Certificate IV in Front Line Management and the Diploma of Management that are all taught on island here at the Robert Oatley College.
Please let me thank you again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to qualia again soon.

Warm Regards,
Michael Shah

Reviewed 12 April 2012

First I have to say that this is the first (and probably only) time I have ever stayed somewhere this expensive. So I can't comment how it compares to others in it's category, but I cannot imagine ANYWHERE being better, regardless of cost.

From the breathtaking location, to the friendly staff, to the amazing rooms, the entire experience was everything I could have hoped for and more. It truly is a completely immersive experience as they take you into their world and just let you enjoy the luxury and pampering that has given them the reputation that they rightly deserve.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The "Jurassic Park" gates, a beautiful starry night, and the unbelievable setting of Qualia, promises much. Sadly the build-up is not quite matched by the service ; not really that bad but both reputation and price presumes perfection! The food was very good but this is an expensive resort and I guess our expectation was very high. Nevertheless, we would go back (when we have saved up enough!)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Coral Point Lodge
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
25.1 km away
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!