“great steaks”

Ranked #15 of 1,672 Restaurants in Adelaide
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Australia's pioneering Argentinian restaurant, Gaucho's has created a passion for the char-grill and to this day is recognised as one of Australia's best.
Reviewed 26 January 2017

My wife and I went there twice in two weeks whilst visiting Adelaide.
Last week, we shared a starter of provoletta which is baked provolone cheese with roasted peppers and green chimi churri on toasted bread. The melted cheese was spooned onto the toast and was an excellent appetiser. I followed with a rare Adelaide Hills 500g grain fed, dry aged bone in porterhouse, This was cooked to perfection and was tender and very tasty. My wife chose CORDERO which consists of Adelaide Hills lamb loin cutlets char grilled with green chimi churri cooked medium rare. The lamb were succulent and outstanding. We had a Salad of pear, walnut, witlof, radicchio and aged grana padano which complimented the meat extremely well. We finished by sharing an affogato made up of a coffee liqueur, a scoop of coffee ice cream and a shot of espresso.
We went back the next week with a friend, and ordered the same cheese starter and also a chorizo sausage which was very spicy and tasty. Then I ordered a 500 gm T Bone steak cooked rare which was cooked just right and the meat was tender and tasty. Both my wife and friend had a plate of the lamb cutlets each and we ordered another the same salad and also ordered a serve of Char grilled mushrooms with spinach,radicchio and goats curd. Both side dishes were fresh and went well with the meat.
Once again, we shared a serve of affogato and left with very satisfied stomach!
Prices of steaks are comparable to good steak houses in Melbourne and I chase good steaks all round the world.
Gaucho's a a must if you are a steak eater and is worth paying a visit when you are next in Adelaide. The only set back is when the restaurant is full and we were lucky to get a seat in the back room the second time, the noise level can get very high which makes conversation difficult. But the food and service made it worth while.

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

Another place that was highly recommended and it merited all the accolades
We shared the yellowfin ceviche special for entree, followed by the parrilla mixta (a selection of chorizo, black pudding, chicken, lamb, beef all BBQ)
and the bife de chorizo (sirloin) and we finished with crema quemada (creme brûlée) served with rhubarb and burn fig ice cream.
The ceviche was as good as you can have. Fresh, perfectly cured and a great start.
The sirloin was melt in your mouth, well rested and seasoned. We ordered medium rare that's the way we like it, but I think even medium would've been excellent.
Dessert was sensational as was the bottle of Rockford Grenache mattaro shiraz
Even the sides of fries and broccoli were next level
Service was very friendly and helpful.
Prices are at the rather expensive side of the scale, but it is worth it.
Yes, yes recommended

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Considering I like my steak rare, I find it difficult to dine out and find a place that cooks it perfectly. Gaucho's did! Amazing service, and amazing food - the steaks are just tender and incredible.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

Although, the meat is absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked, it is way overpriced: a 400g grain New York Strip steak, $44 with chips, you got to lift your game at that price and offer some vegies and greens or at least an alternative!
I have enjoyed Gaucho for many years but come on!!!!? The room was over crowed, we could not hear each other talk (4 people), the service was okay once we got their attention.

Reviewed 20 January 2017

Had the rib eye, both my colleague and I had a lot of gristle and fat in the steak, was surprised, not so good experience after what we had to pay.

1  Thank Derek H