“A review from a non Ramen aficionado.”
Review of Ramen Bankara

Ramen Bankara
Ranked #1,377 of 4,449 Restaurants in Melbourne
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 25 January 2018

It is easy to be put off by the ambiance as it is not a glamorous eating place, but that helps them to keep down the costs.

This is the second time I tried a Ramen, First time, it was in Japan a few years ago. I had distinct memories of having enjoyed that Ramen dish, which was the reason enough to try another one.

I requested for a mid-spicy dish, which turned out to be a little too spicy but was manageable. A member of our party requested for a spicy dish, which turned out to be too spicy. He had to leave it mid way. I enjoyed the soup in my Ramen but could not manage to finish the noodles. Another member ordered a Chicken rice dish which was quite tasty.

I found this Japanese dish much better in Japan than in Melbourne. But I am game enough to try another Ramen elsewhere.

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I was craving some warm ramen in the cool Melbourne weather. This place looked authentic so I went in and ordered the Tonkotsu ramen and 5pce gyoza. The ramen was a lot creamier than what I'm used to... it actually made me feel ill it was so creamy. My noodles soaked up the juice and turned gluggy - at other places I've always been asked how I want my noodles this time I wasn't asked and I forgot to mention it (I usually request hard). I couldn't finish it because I was feeling sicker as I ate it. The gyoza were ok, but had no texture and were super soft. The place was busy and everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals.... maybe it was just too different to what I was used to.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

We ordered 2xR1 "Bankara", 1xR4 "Tsukemen" 1x Gyoza. R1 cha-shu basically 95% all fat unlike usual cha-shu. R4 the drip noodles not even cooked properly and it's hard to chew

Reviewed 21 February 2017

It's surreal that in Melbourne there are so many Ramen restaurants that you sometimes don't know which one to choose. But whichever Ramen restaurant you choose you'll be in for a surprise as each of them try to be as authentic as they can. And Ramen Bankara is one of these restaurants that will surprise you.

Try it whenever you are in Melbourne. It will not disappoint your Japanese ramen craving :)

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

Rewriting a review for this place a few months after our last visit. Unfortunately, this outlet has shut permanently! But there is another one near by on Swanston street.

The ramen is good, flavourful and well portioned.