“Great little cafe, great hours!”
Review of The Mess Hall

The Mess Hall
Ranked #196 of 4,563 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Although there are so many cafes in Melbourne, when it comes to wanting a coffee on Saturday morning or in the evening, the options are limited. I was delighted to discover The Mess Hall which is conveniently located in Bourke St and open till 10:00pm most nights. The coffee us good, service is excellent and the cafe layout is comfortable and casual.

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

Four of us came across this attractive bar/restaurant whilst wandering around Melbourne looking for a late Saturday afternoon lunch.
The service was brilliant, food sensational and wine knowledge commendable (although arguably the wine was a little overpriced).
Risottos were wet, colourful and flavoursome. My Wild Boar Pappardelle brilliant and the Blue Swimmer Crab infused ravioli won the day...just.
Can not wait to return.

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Having chosen not to eat at my hotel, I found this restaurant. It looked good, initial service was good. 40 minutes after my rather simple breakfast order (scrambled eggs), I was still waiting. When a patron who arrived after I did was served her breakfast, I asked one of the waiters. She came back and asked what I had ordered - not a good sign. Then I was told they needed another 10 minutes. I said no, I had to leave for my 9am meeting (I couldn't possibly scoff down breakfast in 2 minutes). Even with all that delay and inconvenience, they insisted on me paying for my coffee. I suppose I should be grateful for not having to pay for my eggs too! Give it a miss.

Reviewed 11 May 2018

We found this fantastic restaurant tucked around the corner from the Hotel Windsor. The food was delicious and the service friendly and efficient. The basil panacotta dessert was a culinary experience not to be missed.

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

Its another of Melb’s hole in the wall size eats. We (5) dropped in for brunch. The atmosphere is alive, staff friendly and attentive; food was good.