“Love the Sichuan wontons!”

Hutong Dumpling Bar
Ranked #215 of 4,582 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 29 August 2016

We had visited Hutong many times and this time did a walk in mid afternoon. We just made it before the kitchen closed for lunch trade and quickly ordered several of the plates of dumplings. The highlights this visit were the Sichuan wontons and the crab meat dim sims. Service was efficient and as always the restaurants was full.

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Seriously the most divine dumplings. Make sure you try to book in advance though. Very accommodating staff and a great atmosphere. You'll love watching the chefs make the dumplings from a display window.

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

We happened to dash in to Hutong for a late lunch on a weekday, in fact it was only 1/2 hour before closing time when 7 of us were showed in. The staff were very good and had us seated immediately. We could only try the steamed dumplings as they had finished making fried dumplings by then. Had small portions of quite a variety of there dumplings and I have to say each one tasted so good! The Chinese broccoli with garlic sauce was very tasty too! Would love to return!

Reviewed 24 August 2016

We have eaten here many times and love the vibe and the hustle and bustle of the waiters serving to meet the needs of the dining guests - feels as though you are in China.
However our recent visit was a little disappointing. I won't be overly critical as I think it was an off-night for the HuTong team. They were very attentive initially in seating us upstairs, taking our order and delivering our drinks. We ordered what I had been waiting for all week i.e., their classic Xiao-Long-Bao (pork soup dumplings) too die for normally, Crispy Fragrant Duck, Prawn dumplings, combo vegetables and small order of special fried rice.
The wine list was great, I had the WA chardonnay by the glass it was so good and value for money for the quality.
But! both orders of dumpling were cool and they looked tired not glistening or looking seductive. I think they'd been sitting in the steamer for too! long, over cooked maybe? The crispy duck was not crispy but soggy, the fat under the skin was par cooked and overall rather bland tasting & not fragrant. The vegies were the best dish this night and we were so hungry that we'd forgotten about the rice. They had forgotten also as it came to the table at the end of the meal when all had just about been eaten.
I did ask the chief waiter over and showed him the Duck to which he was very apologetic, that was all we were offered. Later as we were paying the Bill he asked if we would like to leave a tip (?) to which I offered an apologetic 'no' as we had specifically come for the duck and that we were disappointed with the meal.
I'd like to think this was an aberration and not the new standard as I love everything about this place.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

The food was great but expensive - glad it wasn't me paying. Everything was a bit of a rush as they were trying to turn the tables over pretty quickly.