“Pretty good fare”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Had an evening meal at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow with the family as a walkin. Had the special being roast beef with veg and yorkshire pudding. Pretty good value at $22. Meat was a bit dry but overall pretty good. My wife's cottage pie was also pretty good although a bit salty.

Overall good value and pretty good tucker.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Popped in for the first time in several years.
$10 pints were advertised, so I ordered a pint if beer from the tap next to the advert. My wife has a diet coke. I was a bit surprised to be charged $17.
It would appear that you need to check which beers qualify for the $10 tariff, unless they charge $7 for a diet Coke!
Nice pub, pleasant service.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Visited here today for a Sunday roast with friends. Location was great and easy to find, food was lovely! However staff were appalling, arrogant and just plain RUDE!

The man behind the bar blatantly ignored me while I waited politely in front of him and continued to socialise with other staff having very personal conversations
before speaking to me abruptly! I have never before been handed a plastic beeper and had to wait for it to ring stupidly loud so I can then go an collet my own food from the bar, where the staff were still socialising as if they were the customers and I were the staff!

We asked for a side plate to go with our sharing platter which we assumed would come with them anyway and that felt as if it were a chore for the girl behind the bar..

Food was good (although don’t be fooled as when they say seasonal vegetables, that entails only broccoli) but I will not be returning because I’ve never been treated so poorly. I’d be ashamed to work amongst them

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Don't go there if you are seeking nice food. .yes it's a corner pub with nice position and open windows and outdooor seating ..but the food is trash at a higher than average price in the CBD.
The staff don't give a jack about service and our meal had soggy chips and a bread rolls even McDonald's wouldn't present for fear of complaint.
I'm from Sydney and we always hear of the culinary expertise of Melbourne CBD..I am still waiting to experience this sensation.
I can't help but feel the dining experience is a phenomenon that Melbourne one possessed but after countless stays in Melbourne CBD it's impossible to endorse as a great place to dine.
Back to the Elephant and Wheelbarrow. ..don't bother if you're into a hint of quality.

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

We used this bar quite a lot during our 12 night stay in Melbourne. Not because we are from the UK and it is billed as an English pub, but because it was friendly, fun, with live sports, great beer and wine (watch the price though!) and excellent food. Traditional choices like steak and ale pie, ploughman’s, roast dinners, all hit the spot. Great rosé wine too, small and large options! Good fun for banter between the Aussies and us over the Ashes as we often watched some of the play live in the bar on the way back from the MCG. Definitely recommend you give this a try, its casual and loud, but well worth it.