“Brilliant cassoulet ”

Ranked #14 of 4,184 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$0 - US$16
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Instantly welcoming the French Brasserie offers a relaxing sanctuary at the top end of town. Soaring ceilings and vast glass expanses achieve a chic contemporary atmosphere while friendly attentive staff anticipate your every need. Open for lunch Monday - Friday and dinner Monday - Saturday it continues to exceed the expectations of its guests who can choose to sit upstairs in the mezzanine area, inside at intimate tables or relax outside on the terrace. Express Lunch - Mon-Fri - 2 courses with a beverage $35ppPre-Theatre Menu - Tues-Sat - 2 courses with a beverage $39.50pp(Condtions Apply - Must order before 7.pm - Seating Time - 6.00pm-8.00pm)
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

I am always a bit suspicious of very popular inner-city "French" restaurants as there is bound to be mention of "fusion" and they are all too frequently exercises in form over substance. Not so here - modern, yes, but with the classic expression of simple but elegant French food. It was all good, but I especially loved the garlic notes in the cassoulet - it was a real winner for me - this is a simple dish that is frequently done very poorly - not here. The charcuterie plate was also fantastic - so many wonderful elements. Staff and service were fine although there is a hint of "I'm-too-sexy-for-my-cat" and self importance which makes the diner feel as though they are privileged to even be present at the venue - that said they were professional. This restaurant is certainly worth trying and deserves some of the hype.

1  Thank KierenX
Chrissy S, Public Relations Manager at The French Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2016

Hi Kieren,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us and others with a review of your visit. So well written and made me LOL quite loudly when I got to the "I'm to sexy for my cat bit".

I know what you mean completely but I think the staff, even as to how "French" they are execute and serve our guests well without being "those French peopl
I'm glad you loved the Cassoulette, and that you seek it out on your travels. Our Chef Lionel, wont even share the recipe with us and it's a favourite family dish passed onto him. I agree, it's pretty special.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit, and I'll be certain to pass on your comments and compliments to our team.

It's nice to read a genuine review and recommendation, so we appreciate that. Oh don't worry - the hype is there - we're just modest and down to earth but thank you so much for saying so.

Merci and we hope to see you again in the future,

Chrissy

Reviewed 28 December 2016

This is the 1st time ever I have written a review about a restaurant. The reason why I am doing this, is because this place is worthy to be recognised.

About the owner :
I 1st dined at The French Brasserie with 2 of my girlfriends back in May last year. We were celebrating some good news, as one of the girls was expecting her 1st child. When the owner found out, he got us a round of drinks (non alcoholic for the pregnant friend, but still it was something very nice what she had) .
I have been back 6 times, and never have been disappointed.
The owner really goes out of his way to look after the patrons by coming over and having a quick chat with everyone. I see this every time I come back, and it is something I don't see from many other nice places we have been to. It is a nice touch.

The Staff and service:
Are very attentive from the moment we walk in the door. French speaking staff, need I say more? They make you feel like you are in a lovely restaurant in Paree. We have never had to wait too long for our food.

Food:
Must try the escargot's. I think they're the best in Melbourne.
Salmon 3 ways.
I thought, I would try something different on my recent visit and ordered the Cassoulet white beans, duck and pork belly. It was served in a little pot. It was too salty and watery for my liking. It might appeal to some other people, but I will stick to the Poitrine de porc ple or the Duo de Canard.
The quality of the steak, and the way it was cooked was just perfect This one was a special, not featured on the menu. My husband, is a steak person and he was overly impressed **highly recommend**

The crème brule is a must. Well done French Brasserie.

Overall, you have made your way to being one of our favourite places to dine at, and everyone who I have taken here so far, have left the place very impressed and would definitely go back. All the best for 2017.

1  Thank Divaz81

Bonjour Divaz81,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. I'll be certain to pass on your comments, feedback and review with all of our team.

It's really lovely to hear that Hadj our owner took exceptional care of you, though I would expect nothing else. I think when it comes to hospitality he certainly goes above and beyond and has a real genuine love, interest and passion for the industry. He's quite modest (even for a Frenchman) but I totally understand what you're saying and what you see too as it's a real pleasure to work with someone that takes the time and really cares.

Thank you for mentioning this. You're a frequent flyer when it comes to the French Brasserie now. If you're not already signed up to our mailing list and VIP list, please do so. It's really easy and you can do so via our Facebook page or website (opt into the newsletter) pop in your birthdays and we'll send you something out to say thanks from us :)

I will pass on your feedback and compliments to the chef too. All feedback is great and we loved the comments too about the Cassoulette. It's very traditional French and actually our Chef's family recipe. I'm with you though, that I stick to and love my favourites too.

Its reviews and comments like this, that remind us of why we do what we do. Thank you for introducing other people to our restaurant and your review and recommendation. Without the ongoing support of our customers (who we see as an extension of our business and family) then we couldn't be here to serve and provide our take on French dining to the masses.

Merci and here's to a magnifique 2017, and wishing you and yours a Happy New Years,

Best Wishes,

Chrissy

Ps. You should write more reviews. I read hundreds on tripadvisor and you seem to have a knack for it :)

Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

We came as large family group to celebrate Christmas so had the set menu. Food was outstanding. No one had any issues wit heir food at all. Complex flavours in all dishes that were beautifully presented. I would have no hesitation recommending this restaurant to anyone. Without we will back. Melbourne has some outstanding restaurants and this is one of them. Service is very attentive and they didn't miss anything.

Chrissy S, Public Relations Manager at The French Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2016

Hello Tigershark24,

I'm pleased to hear that you and the family elected to celebrate Christmas here with us at The French Brasserie and it was everything it should have been for you all.

I'll be certain to pass on your comments and compliments to our team. Thank you for your recommendation and also for your holding us in such a high regard.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas, and please when you're next in town be sure to visit and dine with us again.

Merci,

Chrissy S

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

I just love everything about this place. I went here twice this week and they both great experiences. The first I went with the express menu for lunch. It provided a good choice for a two course lunch and really good value, includes a sparkling wine and a glass of either red or white with the meal. The second time was much more leisurely and we took the al a carte option.

I went the calamari and pork, what a wonderful combination of flavour, delicate and sweet. The duck for main was perfect, everything you expect from a French duck dish, robust and flavourful. The strawberry mouse was a great way to cap it all of.

Naturally there is wide range of French wines to compliment every dish.

The venue is classic and intimate, so rare in Melbourne restaurants these days.

The staff are really wonderful, although their English can be challenging on occasion, and the owner is such a character.

So much to recommend about it.

1  Thank Ken R

Bonjour Ross,

Thanks for visiting us not only one, but twice in only a number of days. We're grateful and appreciate your support and patronage.

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed a variety of dishes and the venue, team and had the fortune of meeting Haj our owner. I'll be certain to pass on your comments and compliments.

Thanks for your recommendation and sharing your experience with us and others. We hope that when you're next around you visit us again soon.

Merci,

Chrissy S

Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

Excellent service, great food. Snails to die for. Great wine list but this is certainly a special occasion type place to dine.

1  Thank Emma B
Chrissy S, Public Relations Manager at The French Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2016

Bonjour Emma B,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review of your visit. I'm pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable visit and experience and loved the snails.

I'll be sure sure to pass on your comments and compliments to our team, thank you for saying so.

While we might feel fancy and suited to one off or special occasion dining, we've actual a really affordable and accessible pre theater set menu and also a express lunch menu option too. A 2 course with beverage is starts from $35 for lunch/ $39.50 for dinner and then 3 courses with beverage for $45 or $49.50 (portions are more substantial for the evening meals).

Thanks for your recommendation and we hope we'll see you again soon at The French Brasserie

Merci