“Awful steaks”

Price range: US$22 - US$58
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Docklands
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It's sad when the best thing we ate at Bob's was the fried calamari and aioli starter. We both ordered t-bones for mains which tasted for all the world as though stewed in a frypan. They're served with absolutely nothing, not even parsley so everything is extra - such an expensive place and such bad cooking; not even complimentary bread. Free is water and that's it. Service is reasonable but nothing to make you want to return; tables uncomfortable and seating ho-hum. Very disappointed. This is our 3rd try in as many years but never again.

3  Thank Rose M
AkhilChimnani, Owner at Bob's Steak & Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hi Rose,

Thank you for your comments. I must point out though on Groupon Deals, we don't offer anything free as we are already offering a meal valued at $178 for $89. You will agree that a two course meal with a glass of wine for $89 for TWO guests is a great deal. I must also point that our Manager himself did a quality check with you and and the guests at the table acknowledged that the steak was cooked to their liking.

However, when the guest orders from our a la carte menu, here is how we spoil them offering the following free of cost!
1. Warm bread & butter as soon they are seated
2. Followed by pickles
3. Guests are given a choice of not ONE but FOUR kinds of potatoes with their steak (Fries, smashed, baked or skillet potatoes). Our guests find that this is substantial enough not to even order sides.

In terms of the ambiance and the setting of Bob's, I am very proud and can claim to be one of the best restaurants in Docklands with our spacious booths, tables and fine setting of cutlery and glassware.

If you have any other questions or comments, please don't hesitate to mail me.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I was so excited to try this restaurant however was let down by the quality of food for the price. We were a table of 4 and all got steaks that cost $44 - $54 each. I ordered medium well and got medium rare. All steaks were fatty so didnt even get the 300g steak but probably more like 220g. The service was good. Atmosphere great. Location also great. But the price for what you get is unreasonable. When paying top dollar you expect top food. 6/10.

3  Thank NatalieMc555
Bob_Shine, Guest Relations Manager at Bob's Steak & Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Natalie,

We thank you for your feedback and comments and I have passed them onto our Chef & Manager.

However, when you complained that the steak was cooked 'under' to what to what you had ordered, we were happy to replace and give you a new steak cooked to your liking. However, you chose to get the same steak re-cooked and were happy with the result. The gentleman who came to settle the bill (he also had the Entertainment Card) said everyone was happy with their steaks and the evening in general. As a matter of practice, we definitely check quality on every table and do take appropriate action to ensure guest satisfaction. Even at this point, no one at the table complained about anything.

If you any other questions, please do mail me at shine@bobs-steakandchop.com.au.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Ok here we go. First thing's first. From the moment the napkin hit my lap until my partner and I left the premises.. FANTASTIC experience throughout. Even the warm crusty bread was amazeballs. We ordered the meat platter (main) after much deliberation. It came with spicy sausage, lamb rack, fillet mignon and BBQ pork ribs with a mustard seed sauce to accompany the spicy sausage. Everything was perfect! The steak was the best I ever had and that's saying something. The lamb rack was tender and perfectly cooked. The pork ribs with a sort of hickory BBQ sauce melted in my mouth and the spicy sausage tasted authentically homemade with real meat (far from that average supermarket kind) which the mustard seed complemented perfectly. Threw in nice red for good measure too. As for service, second to none. Attentive, numerous yet professional and knew their stuff. Prices are reasonable for a place that serves up high quality grub. Music was great, tried to shazam it even. Didn't have dessert, can't help you there. Anyway awesome joint, go there. Nuff said. :)

3  Thank Christopher R

Thank you Mr. Christopher for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Pleasant interior and good staff service but my food was awful - I had pork belly starter which was like super glue that stuck to your teeth and took 15 minutes to prize out of your teeth, followed by a main course of pork spare ribs starter (double portion) which was smothered in a hot chilli sauce for some unknown reason. I wouldnt go back again but my two guests enjoyed their steaks. This restaurant does not know how to cook pork, at all.

1  Thank roryjdoyle

Thank you for your feedback. I have passed them onto the Chef & Manager. We make every effort to ensure our menu items are cooked to perfection and apologise you were not happy with the experience.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have been here 3 times with my family and all 3 times it has been excellent. The service is above standard, waiters a very polite and friendly the food is delicious. It's not a cheap restaurant. You get what you paid for and that is great quality food. The dim lighting can make this a great intimate dining experience as well as a casual dinner with mates.

1  Thank KetrinC6

Thank you for your words of encouragement and support. We look forward to seeing you again.