“An authentic and delightful French experience ”

A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro
Ranked #186 of 4,328 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$22 - US$31
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chapel Street
Description: A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro is where you will experience true French Hospitality. When the French back home gets together with friends and family to prepare a meal, when all the chopping, mixing and baking and cooking is done! the cook call out "A La Bouffe" Let's Eat, and everyone sits down to enjoy their home cooked meal. That is what you will experience at A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro - an informal, friendly and delicious experience. No pretensions, just good friendly service and delicious food.
Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

From the warm greeting as we walked in the door until we left, we were treated to a truly wonderful evening.
The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and appropriately attentive.
We shared escargot as a starter, done beautifully in a fennel sauce. My friend had a scotch fillet steak with salad and fries. She said that the steak melted in her mouth. I had a traditional coq au vin and it was delicious. My friend had a Creame Caramel that was finished at the table with a lit gas flame. I had the Mille feuille. Both delightful.
We felt as if we were in France as the restaurant was decorated in a traditional French style.
We have been telling everyone about our experience since because we loved it so much.
It might be a little difficult to navigate a wheelchair in the place so I would advise calling to ask.

108  Thank NicksSuma

Reviewed 18 February 2017

Again and again and again, I hate this 5 bullets notation by Trip Advisor. Place deserves far more than average but not Very Good. The place is nice although we stayed in the entrance. The staff, almost all French, was very friendly and efficient and we discussed with them in our mother tong language which was nice. We were four and comments on food was nice although some dishes were not as excellent as others. Our main problem ( but this does not concern non French visitors and explain my average rating) was the French owner behavior who come across our table many times and never even says "Bon appetit" to us, looking apparently unhappy that we came to his restaurant. Disappointing considering the check at the end of the diner.

1  Thank BrunoBibou
Jacky F, Owner at A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2017

Dear Bruno Bibou! Thank you for your review. If i did something to upset you? i would like to convey my sincere apologies. I can assure you i am not in the business of upsetting people. Also we look in our booking Data Base and there is no trace of your name in it regarding your booking. You mention a table of 4 in the entrance? we do not have a table of 4 in the entrance. It would be nice if you could confirm when you came and the time please. I spoke to the staff and they do not remember a table of 4 speaking French. Are you sure you went to A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro? it as happen before. Regards Jacky Frenot Owner.

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Decided to try the Monday special and were not the only ones taking advantage of this good deal. Place was busy and had a good buzz. Specials are at the back of the menu which we took a while to find but after that plain sailing. Steaks good, would have preferred a little more seasoning but that is just me, good accompanying red wine and the desserts blasted with the torch at the table for a little flare :)
Enjoyable

108  Thank Caroline F
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Poor service.Very ordinary food & high prices.waited over 45 minutes for entrees to arrive,would not go there again.

Jacky F, Owner at A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Dear Anonymous! Thank you for reviewing A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro. If you are going to complain about a Restaurant? At least have the courage and dignity to put your name to it. Has I had mention before your attitude and behavior on Valentine’s Day was on the border line of been embarrassing, abusive and offensive towards the lovely waitress who was serving you. The table next to yours was not impress at all and the table opposite as well.
On that night, we serve 50 tables, you are the only one who could not come up with any nice comments. Thank you again.
My original review was put up by TripAdvisor! but after a wile it was removed because i did put your name in it. it is amazing that you can rubbish my Business (as you did on FB), but i cannot print your name.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

The whole night's experience was a really pleasant dining experience. The service and food were great from beginning to end. The duck liver pate was one of the best I have ever had as was the seafood ravioli. Others had the duck and the rabbit and said they were great. We shared a crepe suzette and it was just how the French version should be.
If I am ever back in South Yarra I would definitely return.

108  Thank Toni M