“Great Dinner with my Wife”
Review of Ant's Bistro

Ant's Bistro
Ranked #510 of 4,325 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 29 August 2017

The food was really tasty and we were served large portions.
We had the peking duck, dumplings, Lemon chicken, bok choy and rice.
I would recommend all the dishes - All came out hot and in a timely manner.
Value for money and in an easy to find location.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has been a regular for me for some 7 years. The food is generous in portions and really reasonable priced. There is plenty to choose from and a great variety.

The chef and owners of the business are the most lovely and welcoming people and they are very attentive to your needs.

The duck san Chou boa (pardon the spelling) is great. I highly recommend that as your starter. In terms of main courses, there is an abundance of options. I do suggest the salt and pepper chicken (a personal favourite)!

This little business is good, affordable, and because there off the beaten track per se, it gets you off the sometimes cluttered little Bourke street, a plus!

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Was ok nothing special to make me excited to go back. Bit too cramped and slow service. Cant say anything more

Reviewed 22 June 2017

We all know that Little Bourke Street is Melbourne's Chinatown, and if you're lucky enough for your restaurant to be situated on that famous strip, you're always going to have high visibility with the consequent passing trade. I have found it interesting that there appears to be only two parts of Melbourne where restaurants tout for business; one is Lygon Street, and more recently we have started to see predominantly young Asian women touting outside restaurants in Little Bourke. Oh well, such is the competitive nature of the marketplace.

Ants Bistro is up against it from the start, given its position off the main drag in grubby Corr's Lane. It's not far off the main strip, but far enough not to be in your face when you walk past. And this is a shame, because the food here is great, and very reasonably priced.

I dined here recently with my son and his girlfriend. We always seek out places that are BYO so we can save some coin, and Ants is BYO wine only, which is fine. The menu is pan-Chinese, but there is an emphasis on northern and Szechuan cuisine, although some Cantonese favourites are also evident.

It's not a big place, although it does spread over two levels, and the decor is nothing to write home about. Service is efficient in the manner of most of the Asian eateries in this area. These wait staff aren't there to tell you their life stories or enquire about your day, although any questions about the are answered in a friendly manner.

We like spice, so we ordered a few one and two chilli dishes (the menu indicates the degree of heat--0, 1, 2, or 3 chillies). The heat here is nicely balanced. This is two chillies in the Dainty Szechuan style, but there's a real tingle on tongue.

All of the dishes we had were excellent and didn't take too long to appear: spring onion pancake, beef dumplings, spicy pork ribs (a highlight for me), Szechuan duck, ants climbing trees (best I've had; the clear noodles were light as a feather). $100 fed the three of us, and we're all big eaters; you can't complain about that.

If you're in Little Bourke Street and you want to enjoy an excellent Chinese meal, I can recommend Ants Bistro, particularly if you like a bit of spice. I will certainly be returning.

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

Had a fabulous banquet meal here. The food was excellent & very enjoyable. Staff were fantastic too. Highly recommended