“Extremely Disappointed”

Bayview Eden Melbourne
Ranked #111 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 18 February 2013

After viewing their website and justifying the cost, I was lead to believe that the Bayview Eden hotel was too good to be true; and it was. The website is incredibly misleading and I would 100% agree that they are guilty of false advertising. Yes there was heating but no air conditioning. Yes there was a safe, but it didn't work properly and had to use your credit card to use it which meant it probably took out money every time it was used. Yes there is WiFi but you have to pay for it. It is only free in the lobby which meant the lobby was always package with too many people and not enough seating. There were also no sign of a work desk in my room, just a small round table for my belongings, not big enough to work from.

Firstly, I was given the wrong room. After being allocated to the right room, I was extremely disappointed. Soiled and stained carpets, a cigarette hole in the net curtain, stained and sticky in-room leaflets,.. As the days went on, I only noticed more problems. I lifted the valance of the bed to find the corner of a crisp packet and a dirty crumpled up tissue...god knows what that was used for! Taking into consideration that many different cleaners service the rooms, I left them there assuming at least one cleaner would dispose of them. A couple days later, when I noticed I was given a stained towel with a hole in, it reminded me to check under the bed. The rubbish was still there! I was livid.

To add to all this, the kettle was covered in limescale, the wifi in the lobby was always down and the food was overpriced (but this is normal for hotels). The staff however were all extremely nice, especially the man who I assume to be the restaurant manager. Those who worked at the reception and concierge were also very friendly. I'm not disappointed with all the staff, just the cleaners and the managers of the Bayview Hotel chains. More money and training should be put into place to ensure such a run down hotel doesn't exist in the heart of a big city.

Room Tip: Always ask for a different room if you are not happy with yours, regardless of how many times this m...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ariariar
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all forms of feedback as it allows us the chance to rectify as well as improve on certain aspects of the services and product we provide. Please be assured, I have forwarded your comments on to the relevant Department Managers to ensure the appropriate action is taken.

If you can please make contact and provide me with the room number of your stay, I will have our Maintenance inspect your room to ensure the points you have raised are checked and repaired.

With regards to the in-room safe, I can confirm that they are complimentary and that the credit cards are not charged. The credit cards are only required so that the safe becomes unique to you during your stay.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff very friendly and helpful. I hope you choose to stay with us again as we would like to show you that your recent stay is not of our normal high standard.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

We came to Melbourne for a day the Australian Open Tennis. The staff were extremely helpful and we had a hassle-free early check-in. It was very convenient that we could park on-site and leave our car there. Trams passed by frequently a block away on St. Kilda Rd. Our room had a beautiful view of Albert Park. It was a spacious room with a queen bed and a table with comfortable chairs.
We have stayed here a few times in the past and it seems to just get better. For value for money, it's our favourite hotel in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Ask fir a room with a park view. It's stunning.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larry_Wonthaggi
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay while attending the Australian Open. I have forwarded your review on to all of the staff here for their congratulations.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Bayview Eden Melbourne.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

This hotel is in need of an update. The decor is very dated and looking a bit tatty. The carpet in our room was very stained greyish/mud colour and the room itself had a very worn appearance. The good points include the location - it is a short tram ride into the city - opposite the golf course and Lake Albert with the Bay in the distance - although the dirty windows did occlude the view somewhat. Another positive was the free on-site parking, which would be the reason we would stay here again. Mixed responses about the staff - for example, on enquiring about purchasing a Miki (this is a "credit card" type pass required for travel on the trams), we were advised by a staff member on reception that they were $10 each, but the next morning, when we purchased it, we were advised by another staff member that they were $14 each. Check in/out were uneventful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I will ensure your feedback and the points you have raised are shown to the appropriate people.

I can confirm that the Myki Visitors Pack are $14.00 each ($6.00 for the card and $8.00 of preloaded credit) which will enable you to use public transport for 1 full day. You can also purchase the cards themselves (at 7eleven & Melbourne Train Stations) for $6.00 and load as much credit as you like, depending on your itinerary.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

A diary of my brief visit... Checkin, simple and efficient with a smile, upstairs and into a dated but clean corridor, key worked first time, room is large enough and all the furniture matches ... so far so good. Room service menu adequate and food delivered in 20 minutes , pleasantly surprised by the quantity of fruit on the platter and equally disappointed by the size of the Eden Burger, but it was delicious and that is the main thing. Then on to the bed, and what a disappointment. As a veteran traveller of over 1000 nights in hotels I am always keen on having a good quality bed / mattress combination to deliver me a nights sleep. Sadly the mattress had seen better days and to be honest Tony Abbott would give Julia Gillard more support at the upcoming election than this horrible thing afforded me... Buy a new mattress for room 414 and I will gladly come back...

Room Tip: Do not pick 414 ...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Your review has been forwarded on to the relevant Department Managers and the necessary action will be taken. I can confirm that the Hotel are in the process of replacing the mattresses and will ensure room 414 is completed next.
I hope you do choose to stay at Bayview Eden Melbourne on your next visit as I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

From arrival to our departure, I cannot give enough praise to the staff of the hotel.From reception to the cleaners, nothing was a problem.We had an early appointment in the city and they allowed us to check-in two hours early.The room was absolutely fantastic with views across the golf course to the lake.On sunday we had a town reunion in the Fitzroy gardens, and on checkout
I asked if we could leave the car in their carpark, it was not a problem. We would not have any hesitation staying there again. ps. Breakfast was bloody marvellous. Peter & Irene Floyd. Ouyen Vic.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bayview Eden M, Front Office Manager at Bayview Eden Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Bayview Eden Melbourne.

It was a pleasure to read your review, and I have forwarded it onto all of the staff here for their congratulations.

Whenever the rooms are available, we are more than happy to allow for early arrival. However, we can not guarantee this for all stays due to the late check out we offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.