“Healthy "Homemade" Delicious Meals”
Review of SugarBun Melbourne

SugarBun Melbourne
Ranked #1,546 of 4,516 Restaurants in Melbourne
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 27 December 2015 via mobile

We had Fish Fillet Noodle, Dry Bah Kut Teh, Chicken Mushroom Stew & meat balls in Bah Kut Teh soup. Healthy & satisfied meal. Beside the food, pear & fungus a very nourishing drink, was my favorite.

According to the owner of the restaurant, all the food were prepared without MSG & use fresh ingredients. Best meatball that I ever had, made from pork & calamari.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 30 July 2015 via mobile

Melbourne chilly winter needs to be countered with healthy warm herbal broths that are filling and soothing.

The Chicken herbal broth in hot claypot is served with rice or noodles. A must have condiment is Chinese Churros also know as Yau Char Kuay in Cantonese lingo. You can say int it 10 other languages and its still tastes wonderfully apt with the herbal soup or you can choose the all time favourite Nanyang Bak Kut Teh.

Reviewed 10 January 2015 via mobile

Loved the fish noodles and Bak Ku Teh. Great asian food for anyone who are 'cafe-d' out in Melb. Simple interiors but was clean and cosy.

1  Thank Betty C
Reviewed 30 October 2014 via mobile

My recommendation is not to order the soup with pig's offals.. The soup was fine, but the pig's stomach and intestines tasted like they were quickly cooked in boiling water and tossed into the soup. I had to chew on the stomach for so long too and later gave up and just swallowed them forcefully. I guess this place is just good for their bak kut teh as recommended by so many other reviewers here.

Reviewed 8 October 2014

I've been wanting to try out this place since reading a great review about it in Epicure (The Age). Our party of 3 arrived at 12pm (opening time) on a Wednesday and were the first to be seated. There then came a fast flurry of diners so it is lucky they have 2 levels because it filled up fast.

I came to try the Bak Kut Teh and I wasn't disappointed. $15 gets you a claypot of herbal broth and a good serving of pork belly, ribs, meatballs, tofu and mushroom. Plus a bowl of mixed grain rice, cut chilli/soya sauce combo, some pickles and 'You Char Kway' (Chinese donut to dunk in the broth). It is a very decent sized meal and packed full of flavour. The meatballs were little gems of joy.

The rest of the menu sounds great but everyone around us was eating Bak Kut Teh and it was so so so good I don't know if I would want to eat anything else! There were hot and cold drinks available for under $4: think Malaysian coffees, Milo (very popular in Malaysia), Ribena and today they had barley as the special drink of the day. If you're nostalgic for Malaysian drinks their drink menu will satisfy you.

I and my companions left feeling happy and satisfied. I'm already planning another visit next week. Highly recommended.

1  Thank JYML18