“Finally got back to this restaurant!”
Review of Flower Drum

Flower Drum
Ranked #41 of 4,245 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Went to this place after not going here for about 6 months. Four of us were very excited and were seated immediately. We ordered the banquet which we had last time and was awesome. Today I must say I was most disappointed. For the price I expect spectacular food and it really was not! I rate the food 3 and the service 4. Really quite sad for the extreme bill that came at the end. I'm not sure I would go back, after having previously enjoyed at least 4 times. Not good Flower Drum...

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

From the outset I should admit to not much liking Chinese restaurants or food. I find the restaurants - and I'm referring to so called high end ones - all the same ( I have visited many including in London, Dublin, New York, Dubai ). Chilly bland dull atmosphere-less settings, staff who either don't try at all or try too hard and food which all tastes the same.

So I was really hoping and preparing and so wishing to be converted by the long standing prestige and reputation of the Flower Drum - which by all accounts is one of Melbourne's premier food destinations. Sadly it was not meant to be for me. The room was without any atmosphere or warmth. My spring roll starter ( which is all I had ) was no different to every spring roll I've ever had anywhere. I was also underwhelmed by the other food on our table. On the plus side I have to say that our waiting staff were very genuinely pleasant and friendly. Not for me but perhaps for others.

2  Thank Terry F
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Returned to this restaurant after many years and was not disappointed. This is 5 star Chinese food and service. We were a group of 6 and chose the 6 course banquet which was a great option. This is quite an expensive restaurant but well worth it for a special occasion. The service was impeccable without being intrusive and the first 5 courses were spectacular. The dessert options were fairly limited (as you would expect from any Chinese restaurant but there was a milky pudding that one of our group ordered that was lovely (even though we were warned that non-Chinese usually didn't like this dish). Not that any of us really needed dessert.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Decided to visit Flower Drum as I had not done so on my last 4 visits. Was going to book for dinner but thankfully changed it to a lunch. I am more forgiving if my lunches are not to a level of satisfaction that I expect from dinner.
The Flower Drum is a brand that has been part of the Melbourne dining scene for more than 40 years. Most of this at the very top end. Viewed as quality, different and best in class.
Sadly not any more. It has fallen, in my view, to just being a good Chinese restaurant - but falling into the bad practices expected from Chinese dining establishments. Everything is mechanical (including service) and you can't help but feel the staff are encouraged to extract as much money as possible from you - including that well known Chinese restaurant practice of pouring your wine faster than is healthy !!!
Don't get me wrong. The food and staff are good. But just not as good as years ago. Lets hope the decline does not continue into next years visit.

1  Thank David M
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Was invited to have this fine dining seafood at this restaurant. Overall a A plus for their table service and the quality food they served us. Satisfied and overall food is good and good portion too to keep all of us full.

1  Thank Margaret M