“Great fun if you are in the mood for eating with your hands...”
Review of Grab A Yabby

Grab A Yabby
Ranked #2,148 of 4,296 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$10 - US$36
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I went with my son as I had a craving for yabbies and so thought why not..

We started with some sliders. They offer then in pairs or 4 (being one of each). Then i was in a quandry of do I want yabbies, or crawfish, or lobster or etc etc.. Being Asian everything is still quoted in Lbs and so I ended up with the lb of Yabbies at $45,

The way they are served as it is quite odd. The food is in a placed in a clear plastic bag, brought to the table in a ceramic bowl. You get gloves, a plastic bib and are ready to go. Mine was hot till the end, really tasty and in the bag was a REALLY delicious corn cob. My son had the grilled salmon (boring compared to mine).

For dessert there was only one choice of coconut jelly.

The good
The food is well cooked and flavorsome. When ordering any of the seafood you are offered 4 different sauces and 4 different levels of spice. So choose carefully to what suits your palate and all should be fine

The bad.
The dessert menu was very limited. Some people may find the overall cost a tad high

The ugly
During the morning / day time the place is a coffee shop. The chairs are steel and not made for long term sitting and so after an hr it can become uncomfortable

The Verdict - would I go back
Absolutely. Great family fun place but perhaps not on date (because of the chairs and plastic (needed) table cloths

Reviewed 8 May 2017

We went here on the weekend for my husband's birthdays so he (a Brit) could try yabbies - he's request!

From the cheap interior with plastic red table clothes, to the over priced food and drinks and the terrible service, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

When I asked if they had a change table for my son, they said no and the toilets were out the door, around the corner and up the stairs. Toilets were revolting and there was a man shooting up drugs on the stairs landing!

Appalling when you look at the price they are charging.

I think we are lucky in Melbourne and have amazing restaurants and mostly wonderful service.

Spend your money elsewhere.

1  Thank Maz_Mewett
Reviewed 30 January 2017

Dropped in for a feed with my old man over the weekend and we were both very much satisfied with the pork ribs special that is on offer.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

I'm from Sydney and this meal was amazing! I grabbed a mud crab with the special sauce. The crab was fresh and the sauce was smooth and delicious.

The service was good as I was asked whether I've been there before and they described the process. I was later given all the almost all the tools I need to eat my crab. I might be different in this regard, but I need a fork to pick out the bits inside the crab, but they were happy to give that to me.

Reviewed 23 July 2016

Entrees and salads good, had sliders, garden salad, corn and my partner had the yabbies. Run well. The food was not cheap but good quality and seafood fresh as advertised. Don't book online, your inquiry won't be returned. Turn up.

1  Thank Jon C