“Great location, quality hotel in Auckland city”

Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We ended our NZ trip with a 3 night stay at the Westin Auckland and what spledid choice it was?!
we were upgraded to a beautifull 2 bedroom hotel apartment on the 14 level of the complex.
I seemed to us that from beginning to end the staff at the Celestion understand what hospitality is all about and treated us as a vip.
Our suite was spacious and modernly appointed. nice kitchen The bathroom had a huge tab and a separate rain forest head shower.
Concierge staff were knowledgeable, happy to assist and very friendly.
The gym here is good it is in the near by waldorf complex much better pool than in other hotels we stayed.
From a location point-of-view, the celestion is convenient. near a 24 hours superstore ande the railway station,walkable to many attractions, restaurants and bars.
Should our path ever cross again with Auckland we will stay at no other address than the celestion Waldorf
we thought that 65$NZ for a ride to the airport is a little too expensive by most of the taxi services in aucklandand there is a third choice - a 40$NZ car service to the airport it is called discount car service!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 187309Craig37
Management response:Responded 19 August 2011

Thank you for your review on our Property. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

First, some context: My partner and I booked the Celestion Waldorf Apartments as part of a multi-city, around-the-world vacation in August 2011. We both travel quite a bit for business, and we typically stay at properties offering amenities comparable to a Westin or Hyatt. We don’t expect 5-star service at these hotels, but we do look for a certain level of amenities and furnishings to make our stay as comfortable as possible. We had originally booked the Westin for our stay, but it regrettably shut down the week before our arrival, so we had to scramble to find an alternative at the last minute.

We read the reviews of the Celestion Waldorf prior to booking the property, and the glowing evaluations lead us to believe that we would be getting something akin to a Residence Inn or Hyatt Place. We were warned by other reviewers that the property more closely emulated an apartment space than a traditional hotel, but notionally we were OK with that since we just wanted a comfortable place to stay – again, assuming we would be getting something akin to a Residence Inn or Hyatt Place in the US. Unfortunately, the Celestion Waldorf is nothing like those properties.

The cues that we weren’t going to be happy started even before we were fully checked in. There were the petty fees: “We charge your entire credit card upfront for your stay, even though you don’t have a prepaid rate,” “We also require a $50 incidentals deposit that we charge to your credit card before we can give you your room,” and “Lost or damaged room keys incur a $50 replacement charge, each,” even though the keys are the very same card keys used by hotels worldwide. Then there were the quirky rules requiring checkout at 10 AM, with no flexibility to extend that deadline by more than just a few minutes without incurring an additional, full night’s charge. Laundry not submitted before 9 AM each morning results in a 100% surcharge, bringing the $6 laundering charge for a t-shirt up to $12 – as if the base $6 charge isn’t already steep enough.

Other issues we had with the property: There were no TVs in the bedrooms. The Internet is wired only (no wireless). The décor features dark brown, indoor/outdoor carpeting with absolutely nothing on the walls except for one hanging, canvas banner. The hand soap next to the bathroom sink and in the shower uses a hanging public bathroom pump dispenser filled with foam soap. When the dispenser next to the sink is used, water from your hands drips all over the thin counter space below, leaving no safe place to prevent toiletries from getting wet. The sink lacks counter space, and there is no area other than maybe 3-4 inches around each side to place one’s items. The showerhead sits rather low in the stall, and the water pressure was poor.

The property only has one elevator, so it can be quite a wait to get up / down. The overall furnishings in the room are more akin to a college apartment than they are a boutique, loft-style property. Rooms with king-sized beds are not quite large enough to accommodate end tables on both sides of the bed, so I had to place my phone on the floor next to the bed and had no reading light since the would-be “lamp” and table were actually tucked in the far left-hand corner of the room next to an austere-looking wardrobe.

I realize that many of the items above may sound picky, but the general reviews here really painted a far different picture than what this property really is. To be fair, it was very clean and kept up, and I had absolutely no concerns about the hygiene of the room other than food stains / crumbs left in the room’s microwave. That said, I think it’s important to understand what this property is and what it isn’t. Don’t go here expecting to find a long-stay corporate apartment or a more traditional, full-service hotel. Instead, understand that this place, while well kept, is more comparable to a college or university apartment with the furniture quality and amenities to match. The pictures of this property that are fed through the Expedia booking portal make the living spaces look far brighter and larger than what they really are, as they were obviously taken with a wide angle lens.

We had booked a 3-night stay, but ultimately checked out after the first night because it was too depressing to stay any longer. We found the Hilton to be a much better option, and we really didn’t pay that much more than the Celestion Waldorf for our new room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank berchelm
Management response:Responded 16 August 2011

Thank you for your Review. In response please see my previous reply regarding your comments.

As you correctly pointed out the general reviews paint a far different picture than your own.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and please rest assured we have investigated the points we feel necessary.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

This hotel was an utter failure to me. As a little background, I was scheduled to stay at the Westin however due to hotel financial difficulties it closed about a week before I arrived. Therefore I was rushed to find a replacement. While I used Trip Advisor as I normally do, I need to help set some expectations for this hotel.

This hotel is definately no frills. It is not, in my opinion, a 4 star or 5 stay place like Trip Advisor posts (and honestly I don't see how it can get on of the top ratings in Auckland). It is probably great for families, those who want no frills (you go shopping at the supermarket to eat, etc),or who are on a budget. However, it is exactly opposite to what I have come to expect in hotel stays when matched against the type of operation that Hilton, Westin, etc offer. I picked it originaly due to its high city rating and the reviews...

Things to be aware of:

*They make you pay for your full stay at check in (unlike every other hotel where they authorize the card and you pay on check out). Then, they charge you an extra $50 deposit for incidentals.
*$50 charge per key card if you lose them. Remember, these are the standard key cards from every hotel in the world and maybe cost a few cents to replace.
*10am checkout...this is ridiculous. Any real hotel gives you until at least noon. They wanted a full extra day's room rate to check out at noon. So that is $180NZD for maybe 2 hours.
*No bathroom counter space. I had to store my stuff in the kitchen.
*LIttle to no water pressure in the shower.
*No soap, only a foam dispenser that you find in public bathrooms.
*No tv in the bedrooms. Only a small 17" in the living room.
*One small slow elevator. Good luck if the elevator ever breaks down...you will have to take the stairs up a maximum of 17 floors.
*No wifi internet, wired only and it was sluggish at best.
*Laundry is available, but if you don't drop it off before 9am it is a 100% surcharge...one t-shirt is $6 to clean to give you an idea on what you will be paying.
*Bed sheets felt like I was sleeping on the paper they put on hospital beds to protect them.
*If you leave the balcony door open (and I was on the 16th floor) you get a definate waft of the Indian restaurant on the ground floor permeating the air into the room.

The one good point - it was very clean. I had no issues with the housekeeping staff and what they did to prepare the room before I arrived. And the front desk staff were nice to deal with when you exclude the silliness of the hotel's policy of collecting the room rate at check in, etc.

In the end, I checked out and headed down to the Hilton to finish my stay in Auckland. I should have done that to begin with and made a mistake thinking that this hotel would replace my stay at the Westin.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in my opinion.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Jeff_In_Dallas
Management response:Responded 15 August 2011

Thank you Jeff for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate feedback be it positive or negative and if necessary gives us an opportunity to improve.

Celestion is a unique four star property, having rooms with kitchenettes, modern furnishings, 32 inch Television, comfortable beds, and air conditioning units. It was unfortunate to hear you weren’t happy with the apartment as we have received many positive comments about our rooms.

You have made several points in regards to the building, room and services to which I have investigated and would like the opportunity to discuss with you if you are willing to make contact?

I do thank you Jeff for mentioning the service of our housekeeping and front office team. They are very good at what they do and we are proud to have them on our team.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

This was excellent - really clean, plenty of room, excellent kitchen facilities and lovely bathroom. There was a second bedroom with a sofa bed in which we stored our bags so there was nothing cluttering the bedroom or lounge area. The lounge area meant we had somewhere to relax as soon as we arrived and there was ample space and equipment to cook and eat a meal if you wanted to. It is in a central location, easy to find and only 2-5 minutes walk from the waterfront or the main street in the CBD. We arrived on the bus from airport and was a ten minute walk from the airbus drop-off. Within walking distance of the Sky Tower too. We loved this place and would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jaggy_30
Management response:Responded 19 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our Property. It was pleasing to read your stay was excellent. Please dont forget to pop in and say hello the next time you are staying with us.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Stayed in Auckland for just two nights in transit. I chose this hotel based on its reviews and indeed it is quite good. The room I stayed is very large, with kitchen, living room and two bedrooms. Very clean. Well located. The entrance and corridors are simple, cement walls, but the room is what is important. Front desk was kind. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Spacious rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Olecram
Management response:Responded 19 August 2011

Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate all guests who take the time out to post comments about our property.