“Always our preference before a show”

Tanuki Sushi & Sake Bar
Ranked #62 of 2,413 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2016

Tanuki Sushi and Sake Bar (not the be confused with Tanuki's Cave below stairs) is our favourite for dinner before or after a show. As it is popular, we always book, and often take friends. The atmosphere, service and food are excellent. The extensive menu ranges from tapas-style dishes to sushi and full meals. We love the fresh spring rolls, the scallops with pork belly, and tempura prawns. The wine list is small but well-priced.

1  Thank Cadarnle

Reviewed 15 March 2016

Wonderful meal, amazing service, atmosphere is perfect for a group or a quiet twosome. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 11 March 2016

An atmospheric, cosmopolitan food and wine bar where my niece took us when our time was short before a Festival event. Service at the bar was fast, the ambiance warm and friendly, our glasses of rose excellent and my scallops wrapped in pork were succulent and tasty. Surprised me. She had a small, but favourite salmon and with a little miso and rice, we were out of there for under $60 total for 2 of us. I wold go again.

1  Thank lizjh22
Reviewed 27 February 2016

Popular wee restaurant, we enjoyed sitting at the bar watching food being prepared. Service was quick, food delicious. Really enjoyed the fresh spring rolls We would certainly return here.

Reviewed 25 February 2016 via mobile

The staff of Tanuki is very friendly and quick. The menu is good und to watch the guy, who prepares the sushi is awsome.
My boyfriend and me ordered the donburi-plate with teriyaki salmon. Everything was so delicious on it and especially the salmon melted in your mouth.
If I will visit Auckland again, this restaurant will definetly be my first dinner option!