“Terrible”

Parnell Pines Hotel
Ranked #50 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 12 September 2015

So many things... Let's start with a positive:
The owners were lovely.

Now - we stayed in a family unit downstairs.
- half of the lights in the ceiling/walls didn't work so they had lamps everywhere, it was like being in a cave with a power cut!
- the toilet was FILTHY, as were the skirting boards, window sills etc, window sills had mould on them.
- one of the beds was so soft you could visibly see the sink hole in it and was actually unusable to sleep in
- we were the only car in the car park and had parked not quite in a park just to unload the car and get our baby out, came back minutes later to a note in the car telling us to park properly which was really rude!
- the whole downstairs hallway smells of damp, or God knows what but horrible anyway
- carpet was threadbare (my baby made a good game of pulling and picking at the threads!)
- so, so, so noisy! We could hear every word of the conversation coming from the next room, banging and footsteps from above and road noise (expected in Auckland, so can excuse that part)

To be honest there was probably more but I've forgotten, i have to say this is probably one of the worst if not the worst motels I've ever stayed at. Created an account here solely to review as I never have before!
We've stayed at this motel a number of times over the years - usually in the upstairs renovated units and while its dated it's always been clean and manageable.

Great location and free wifi was good but unfortunately I will never come back! Sad as this was always our favourite place to stay when we come to Auckland.

Room Tip: Do NOT have a room downstairs. Or just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 July 2015

We had an overnight stay here for a concert. Arrived earlier and even though they had a small reception the lady was kind enough to offer a space to leave our things while we go around Parnell. The room was good enough for its price, as an inn it is very clean and well-appointed. The bed was too soft but was okay for an overnight stay. It was spacious enough for two people to walk around and there was no noise at night even though the inn was fully booked because of the concert. Slept very well and ready to travel the next day.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chamomile88
Reviewed 15 May 2015 via mobile

Beautiful place. I stayed here for one night as I had a concert at Vector arena. For $130 a night I was quite shocked. The room I stayed in was beautifully clean. Some may say small I say cosy. The owners of the place were extremely welcoming. Location? You have everything you need. Bus stops right in front. 2 minute bus ride to vector arena or 5-8 minute walk. And 7 minute bus ride to the city. I'll recommend this place. Will definitely go back.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2015

Last time a cheap studio unit- paid a bit more for an "executive" suit this time- number 4- and were even more impressed- spacious room and bathroom, everything clean and tidy, although a couple of minor old floor stains. Small but nice view of the harbour this side of the building. As before, staff lovely, free wifi, free newspaper, and they tell me that they will make sure they have some ice for the fridge in the room next time I am up this way!
Well equipped units in every way.We come here for the free car park,($42 night elsewhere) low cost frequent busses to al of Auckland on the road outside, and although the on-site restaurant was closed, it was probably because they found it difficult to complete with the plethora of low cost eateries around- nice $10 cooked breakfast at Dunk(?) just over the road!

Room Tip: Choose the harbour side, top floor, numbers 2,3,4 perhaps.
Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amerynet
Reviewed 15 April 2015

My daughter and I stayed here one night in a twin share room. The beds were very comfortable, and the place was quiet so we slept well. The room was a little on the small side but all we needed for our brief stay, and was a reasonable price. Lots of cafes/restaurants/bars, shops and galleries within easy walking distance along Parnell Rise. Friendly, helpful staff. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family