“Sooo tasty ”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

This is one of my favourite restaurants to take friends too so they may try all the amazing flavours that they produce in Cafe De Laos. My favourite is the Green Chicken Curry, I can't go past it. All meals came out together (12 in the party) service was impeccable. Authentic Thai.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Menu very comprehensive and reasonably priced, slightly different from traditional Thai. Service OK from inexperienced waitress, but not a problem. Wine list quite good and reasonably priced. Food excellent in terms of quality, freshness and presentation. This is worth a visit.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

Coming from Rotorua a couple of times a year we always make an effort to go to Cafe de Laos, simply because the food is so good. The Cafe de Laos special is my favourite so I usually get that and my partner gets something else and we share. Never had a bad experience. The service is always lovely. Much better than any of the Thai food we get in Rotorua, that's for sure!

Reviewed 4 May 2017

We had dinner on Sunday night with my wife and my 9-month-old there as we never tried any Laos dishes but kinda disappointed as we got fooled by their name because it is more like a Thai Restaurant and hardly any Laos dishes to choose from.

We ordered a Tom Yum soup, Pad Ped and Luang Pra something. Luang Pra was good, Pad Ped was average but the Tom Yum soup tasted like those instant Tom Yum paste you get from supermarket and THERE WASN'T A SINGLE SHRIMP/PRAWN IN THE SOUP and everything are not cheap (we had the same soup at Thai Hutt Restaurant on Marine Parade and that tasted a lot better, nearly same price and LOTS OF PRAWNS IN IT). The young waiter boy was providing good friendly service though. I guess they target themselves as a fine dining because it locates at the wharf but at the dinner time it was so dark that we hardly see a thing out the window.

A side story here is that my son dropped his favourite chewing toy on the floor that night but since we were busy taking care of him and dining at the same time so I didn't pick that up right away and totally forgot about it after. I didn't think of that until I remember it on Monday but they are close on Monday so I left a message on their voice recording but didn't hear any reply on Tuesday morning so we stopped there at lunch time before we hit back to Wellington and see if they have picked that up and put that aside. When I was there at 11:30am on Tuesday the door was open and as soon as I walked in the Asian lady (I believe she is the boss) was holding a phone on her ear and said to me "we are not open yet!" with a very blunt tone and walked away. Obviously she was busy so I wait a wee bit until she finished and told her why I am here. "No we didn't see anything" was her answer and she kept repeating it with a bit annoyed tone. I felt like she was telling me to fxxk-off as I don't have anything you want. On Sunday night there were just about 3 tables including us during our dinner and that was past 8pm so I believe there won't be a lot of customers after us. So if they do clean up before they close they must have see the toy on the floor. I am totally alright if they say they have thrown that away because it is totally my own fault. However when I dealt with the lady's attitude with her annoyed tone I swear I will never go back there again and will not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

I have been twice within a week now and both times I found the service and the meal excellent. The first time was a family meal and the second was with a foreign guest. The guest stated that the view of the harbor was superb, and the meal was delicious.