“Simply Stunning”

Cook's Lookout Motel
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Reviewed 16 September 2017

My partner and I chose to stay here following a recommendation from my mother, who had visited a few years previous. From the moment I booked, Shelagh and Norm were fantastic. I had initially booked two nights but following an e-mail from them with some very gentle persuasion I added a third night, and I am so glad we did. Nothing was too much trouble during our stay, and they also gave us some good tips and recommendations.
I had it on very good authority that the views there were beautiful, but you really can't appreciate it until you see it. To wake up in the morning, open the curtains and sit in bed with a cuppa with that view (yes, from the bed) was fabulous.
The accommodation was clean and tidy, and equipped with everything we needed.
The centre of Paihia is just a few minutes drive away and there is a shop and takeaway just a few minutes walk away. The takeaway was one of Norm's recommendations and we enjoyed the Hoki and chips so much we went back the second night! Being up at Cooks Lookout there is no noise except the sound of nature itself, and we relished in the peace and tranquility if offered. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 September 2017

The hotel has a great view towards Waitangi, Paihia, and Russell with good access to Kerikeri. The proprietors could not have been nicer with their help and suggestions. I very much look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Rooms farther up the hill have a better view.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2017

This is the place to stay in Paihia if you want to enjoy the stunning scenery in a quiet, peaceful setting. The views are quite breathtaking. The location could not be any better situated. The small quaint town of Paihia is a 5 minute drive away from the motel, so you are never far from the waterfront, bars, restaurants and local amenities. But by staying at Cook's Lookout you are not immersed in the lively, noisy part of town.
Your hosts, Shelagh and Norm, are such lovely, generous people who will do everything they can to make your stay the best possible one. I could not have asked for better hosts. Their hospitality and knowledge of the area are excellent.
I would highly recommend this motel to anyone. It is smoke free, with a large swimming pool and kitchen facilities in each unit. This really is the only place to stay in Paihia. Book a room at Cook's Lookout and be prepared for the most impressive views of Paihia you will find.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2017

My partner and I woke up each morning with amazing views over the Bay of Islands right from our bed. It's only about a five minute drive to the main Paihia shops and is also very handy to the Waitangi grounds, and various local adventure activities. The beds are also very comfortable, we woke up feeling quite refreshed.

I initially had some reservations about travelling in August with rain on the forecast, however the showers soon cleared and we were able to enjoy our time in the "winterless north." We even managed to get some Kayaking in. We were actually feeling a little hot at various points, so do come in the off season, it is thoroughly worth it.

We had a lovely time and are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have views over the bay directly from the bed I highly recommend these for waking...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2017

We stayed at Cook's Lookout for 3 nights and it was the perfect place for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Our friendly and helpful host escorted us to the top unit which from the outside looked adequate enough for our needs but when we rounded the bend to the front entrance a view appeared before us that quite literally took our breath away. Because the motel is set a few kilometres away from the main Paihia township it is also very quiet, still, and perfectly tranquil. The unit was clean and had all the utensils we needed including a pair of scissors. It sounds trivial but proves that the owners have put thought into their visitor's needs. Many don't. The bed was so comfortable my wife was moved to say that it was the best sleep she'd had in a long time.

Room Tip: Unit 3 has best the view but a lot of the other units are good too.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paihia
2.3 km away
3.3 km away
Edgewater Palms Apartments
5.9 km away
Duke of Marlborough Hotel

Been to Cook's Lookout Motel? Share your experiences!