“Date night”

Ranked #36 of 428 Restaurants in Tauranga
Price range: US$4 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Seafood, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Amphora embodies all that's great about The Strand in Tauranga. Outdoor dining in the courtyard looking out over the water, or in the colourful, warm, Italian-inspired interior which is the perfect spot for a long, intimate candlelight dinner for two or a large party of friends having a celebration meal. There is a warm ambiance creating a relaxed atmosphere here - perfect to enjoy a glass or two of wine before dinner and take your time choosing which of the delicious dishes you will order. The Italian/Mediterranean-inspired food is wholesome and the chefs at Amphora buy in-season from local suppliers, with a focus on freshness and quality of ingredients. We have a good range of gluten free on offer and if you have a special request due to dietary requirements just ask and we will do our best to cater to your requirements. Amphora On The Strand is family owned and run, with more than 30 years restaurant experience, giving personalised service. Amphora is fully licensed as well as B.Y.O. If you would like to make a group booking for lunch we will open specially for groups of 10 or more. Call us to help arrange all sorts of celebrations such as birthday parties, work do's or small weddings at Amphora. We will help you celebrate at the restaurant catering to your individual needs, or we can arrange out-catering for your party if you wish, in your own home or venue.
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

The service was welcoming and friendly, really spot on. The atmosphere was rustic. The clam chowder was tasty and chunky. Although the lamb shank was chewy and fatty. Overall the food was a bit over priced, but service left you with a smile.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

As a group of 7 we dined here for my mothers birthday and everybody was more than happy with their meals. I was delighted to see chicken livers on the menu - something I don't see so often these days - and they were delicious. There was a good selection of meals available gluten free and some nice options on the specials board. The staff went above and beyond, bringing my mum a slice of cake with a candle on it when they realised it was her birthday and they were friendly, attentive without being annoying and professional. The candlelit atmosphere would, I'm sure, be romantic for two and just as a cherry on top, this restaurant is also BYO wine.
I hadn't been to Amphora for several years and now that I've revisited, I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

This restaurant serves the best food with quality it never fails. Friendly environment and best desserts thank you.. we will be back of course..:)

Reviewed 30 May 2018

I am at the crossroads with this restaurant ! On one hand I loved the food which was well presented, scrumptious and generous with the servings and on the other hand I can't go back due to the horrendous noise in the place!
I visited with a group of friends and the restaurant was full.(65 people ) The evening got louder and louder over the 3 hours I was there with a constant noise level in excess of 95dB which ended with a massive headache for me.
There is not one soft surface in the whole place except for a few cushions. Amphora you can easily fix this by laying carpet tiles under the dining area and fixing acoustic tiles to the ceiling. A small cost for a huge comfort level. Go to a common Coffee shop in the malls to see what a great result this achieves! This is basic restaurant design 101! And BTW Carpet is easier to clean than wooden floors too!
Love the food but please attend to the basics!

Reviewed 23 May 2018

A family gathering over Easter, Amphora was our host's Saturday night choice and what a fabulous choice it was. They were horribly busy and understandably there was quite a wait for the food, but thhe staff were attentive and the time passed without realising.
The service was fabulous and the food surpassed expectations and some. The variety of meals that came out all looked wonderful and the compliments flowed.
We had to go back the following day as one of our party was wondering who he owed for dinner.....woops! We'd all paid our own. They were great when we went back, didn't seem too concerned and rounded the costs favourable down.
Best restaurant I've been too in a long time. Meals were probably slightly above average, but not over the top considering the quality.