All reviewste papamichael fowler centregreat locationwakefield stshower curtaincentral locationcar parkrubbish trucksacross the roadthe hotel is cleanbreakfast was includedbed was comfortablecuba stwould stay here againinner cityshort staystreet noise
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

What bugged me most about this hotel is that the photos of the lobby and restaurant are misleading. The walk up to the rooms is like entering a creepy old hospital. The room I had was small, with low worn and damaged ceilings and worn and chipped, uneven tiles in the bathroom and just a curtain in the small shower, so flooded bathroom. It also looked like it needed a good scrub too. I stayed several nights and returned to a room each day that smelled like bug spray had been used and then the room locked up. Not nice to walk into at the end of the day. Food was of reasonable quality. Good location, but definitely not what I expected from the photos and four star rating. If you stay here - do it for the location and keep your expectations low, despite the professionally photographed and recently upgraded lobby!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2016

I was disappointed to read your negative review of the hotel. I am sorry we were not the style of hotel you were looking for. We have a full selection of photographs available on our website and TripAdvisor that show all areas of the hotel, not just the lobby/restaurant areas. It is a shame that during your time at the hotel you did not speak to one of the staff, who would have looked at your concerns and made changes if necessary. If you would like to contact the hotel and give us more information on your room, please do so. We are a mid-range value for money accommodation option situated in the heart of Wellington. Your comments can help us to make improvements.

Reviewed 16 September 2016

Food looked nice.. varieties for everyone with beverages to suit. Place was spacious and clean.
Staff were prompt and nice. Some food a little high price for quality(chicken curry). But other food looked amazing (steak, chicken etc)
Central wellington so close to public transport and water front.
Did not stay in the hotel but did see some of the rooms which looked in need of a spruce up.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business

Thanks for your comments about City Dining and Bar. It’s always nice to hear when guests enjoy dining with us. I will pass your comments about the meals onto the Kitchen team.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Being on Wakefield and close to Cuba Street makes for a very convenient inner city location. It is also close to the bus route to and from the airport. The hotel is clean and tidy and offers the normal in room facilities expected of a hotel in this category. The staff are always friendly and accommodating. We requested a different type of room to the one we booked and, even though the price would normally be higher, we were accommodated without fuss or extra charge. Buffet breakfast is not wide ranging but what is provided is more than adequate and of a good quality. Restaurant staff were attentive. Reasonably priced and so it is a good mainstay for the occasional short term visit to Wellington.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2016

Thanks so much for your positive comments about the hotel, the location and the staff. It was also nice to hear that your enjoyed the Breakfast Buffet. We are a mid-range value for money accommodation option situated in the heart of Wellington and your feedback is appreciated. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

My work booked rooms for both my colleague and me in one booking but he got upgraded to a suite for free (which looked great) while I was stuck with a dark, little room with a shower that I couldn't fit under without bending my knees (I'm only 5'5"). Bathroom looked a bit unclean and there was no hair conditioner. I asked to be moved but staff stuffed me around so much that I ended up just checking out early. Some staff were great but some were rude and unhelpful. Definitely will not be going near the place again.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business

Thanks for leaving your comments, I am sorry that you were unhappy with the style of room you received. I was also disappointed to hear about the bathroom as this is certainly not our usual standard. As you can see from the many positive reviews we have received, we are very proud of the standard of cleanliness at the hotel. I do apologise that your experience was not as it should have been. We are a mid-range value for money accommodation option situated in the heart of Wellington city and your comments do help us improve.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

We stopped at this hotel on our tour of NZ and although central and well positioned we found it tired, basic and dated, not one of the best that we had stayed in. The room that we were given was one converted for a disabled person and there were a shortage of toiletries. The breakfast buffet did not have such a good choice as the other hotels that we had stayed in and was poor

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate you leaving it. I am sorry that you were not comfortable in the accessible room you were given. I have spoken with the housekeeping team about the shortage of toiletries in this room so that they can make changes. I am also sorry you felt there was not enough choice on the breakfast buffet, I will follow your comments up with the F&B team. As a mid-range accommodation provider we try our best to ensure that our product aligns with the cost and your feedback helps us to make improvements.