“Great food and service ”

Istana Malaysia Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 1,021 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$11 - US$16
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Istana Malaysia in Wellington. Istana Malaysia translates to Palace of Malaysia, where the royals dwell and are served the finest Malaysian cuisine. First established on August 31st 1994, Istana Malaysia has long been recognised by its clientele as the best Malaysian restaurant in town. We warmly welcome you to come in and sample the rich and complex flavours of Malaysian cooking. Book a table for lunch or dinner at our fully licensed restaurant and experience the real taste of Malaysia! At Istana Malaysia each meal is cooked to order using fresh and authentic ingredients and methods. All spices are directly imported from Malaysia, guaranteeing that you will receive only the finest in traditional Malaysian cuisine. Each dish offers you a choice of mild, medium or hot to accommodate your individual tastes and preferences. From spicy satay and invigorating soups to indulgent banquets, Istana Malaysia's menu reflects the full spectrum of the Malay kitchen.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I was impressed with the level of service, at my second visit they remembered my previous order! Food is tasty and serve sizes are really good. GF, DF, V options available.

1  Thank Anis D

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have ordered the beef rendang with basmati rice for my dinner.It does taste quite delicious and i did ordered a masala tea towards the end -also nice and refreshing. Both owner and the chef ( her husband) was very welcoming and so friendly. The atmosphere also very relax .All the best for your business. Will definitely come again if i have another chance.

1  Thank aleysyaz
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The food was average and the service was so poor. I won’t be coming back here.

The owner was so rude to us because we didn’t spend enough money. Our mains only had 3 bits of chicken.

1  Thank AKelly22
Reviewed 10 June 2018

Love the food, service and atmosphere from this restaurant!

I have been here multiple times to dine and order online, and there is one thing I can say and that is my experience every single time has been 10/10. The owner and waitresses/ waiters are lovely and are always there to greet you at the door. They hold very good conversation, and even a few banters every now and then. The service here has always been impeccable, and you are treated with the upmost respect!

AMAZING food, the delivery of food has always come out quickly even in their busiest of times, and the foods are just delicious! Definitely recommend with every meal to have one of there in house made roti. I have tried roti from other restaurants in wellington, but nothing compares to the light and fluffy made ones at Istana Malaysia. I love the range offered here with the variety of Vegan and vegeterian foods as well.

The atmosphere I must say is a very welcoming vibe. I love being able to watch the chefs cooking from where I am eating, and especially watching them make the roti, I love seeing the interactions between the workers and watching the joy come from them as they work.

Will definitely be back here again, and thank you istana malyasia for never letting me down with the service and food.

Thanks

1  Thank deena1999
IstanaMalaysia, Manager at Istana Malaysia Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear Deeba1999.

Thank you so much for coming and trying our food, service and for the beautiful review.
Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

My family group of four walked over to the Istana Malaysia Restaurant which was near to where we were staying. . The owner, a very nice lady, waited on us and recommended what we should have for dinner as none of us had eaten in a Malaysian Restaurant before. She told us about her history as well as the restaurant's. As she recommended, we ordered a prix fixe dinner for the 4 of us. It included Rojak, Mixed Satay, Chicken Korma, Beef Rendary, Stir Fried Vegetables,Mee Goreng (Noodles), Rice and Mango Chutney. We washed the thoroughly delicious food down with some Steinlager Beer. The whole meal was a delight--not overly spicy and quite a bit different from Asian meals we've had in the past. On the way out, I spoke to the owner and complimented her and her wonderful restaurant. It was a wonderful dining experience.

1  Thank Trip-Review01