“Great for that special occasion”

Martin Bosley's Yacht Club Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I dined here recently with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday - and I was impressed. We'd been for the Sunday night fish and chips, but this was the first time I'd been for a more formal dinner. We had the degustation dinner, and it was just glorious. The presentation, the quality of the meals were top notch. The view out over the harbour is a delight, and the service from the staff undeniably good. My only quibble is the cost of the wines! We are all wine buffs, so didn't take the wine matches with our meal, prefering to select bottles from the list - and I was staggered at some of the prices. Everyonbe accepts that restaurants have amark-up on wine, but when a $29 bottle of 2011 Clos Henri is listed at $80, that's a bit steep. It's the only reason I only gave this a 4.5 and not a full 5. It won't stop me going again, but I'm fore-warned.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My absolutely favourite restaurant for when you want to celebrate a special occasion. Impeccable top class silver service, Devine seafood (adore those Diamond Clams) top class deserts to die for. Very nice friendly staff. Martin even serves tables himself if you are lucky. If you love seafood and want a night to remember go to Martin Bosley's. The view is amazing too.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We went to Martin Bosley's to celebrate a my husbands birthday last week.
We started off with the seafood tasting plate with matched wines, this was absolutely brilliant, 3 cold seafood dishes and 3 hot seafood dishes. The wines were matched perfectly, and not to many of them, as this was only our entree.

Both main courses were presented beautifully and tasted even better, i had groper with Bearnaise, spinach and buttermilk onion rings, the groper was so juicy, just amazing and my husband had the pigs head which was so tender and delicious. We had an asparagus as a side dish, just the right amount. The maitre'd explained the our meals perfectly and talked to us about the wine as we wanted her to match them for us.

We were quite full so we got the tasting plate which was recommend to us as and it was a nice amount between two. This came out with a candle for my husband.

The staff were knowledgeable, well presented and very professional.
We will be coming back.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Let me save you some time. Wellington has PLENTY of Bistro's and other eateries where you can get AMAZING food and ambience and a third of the price.

We dropped in to the EMPTY restaurant for some desert and coffee as a fun addition to our exploration of Wellington.

The Maitre'd treated us like LEPERS. Considering the restaurant was EMPTY over a Friday lunch time this attitude was uncalled for.

However my love of desert and wanting to try one of those amazing creations seen on Master Chef spurred us onward.

Oh how we should have just turned around and headed to a local shop to purchase a slab of chocolate!!! The chocolate and raspberry desert and the tasting plate were average at best, not up to the standard of a renowned restauranteur.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

This restaurant is in an amazing position looking over the harbour and city. Unfortunately other aspects are not so amazing. The decor, while fine dining to match the prices, is a little dated with a peculiar combination of mortars and ostrich egg shells (presumably meant to look like giant boiled eggs) adorning each table.

Aspects of the food were fabulous - succulent, tasty, perfectly cooked fish of the day and crisply delicious shoestring fries. Unfortunately, the vegetable, fresh asparagus which has just come into season, had absolutely no flavour and was adorned with an unidentifiable, tasteless green sauce. I can't understand how anyone can treat such a flavoursome vegetable in such a way.

The biggest food disappointment of the evening has to be the desert. It sounded absolutely to die for, but what appeared involved far too much effort at the popular chef's pass time of deconstruction which actually didn't work. At $20 I felt ripped off as well.

While the service was pleasant, it was unfortunate that our waitress didn't understand or communicate English very well. The energy and frustration required in trying to enquire about dishes and order should not be demanded of patrons in a fine dining situation.