“Good, not good vale for money”

Martin Bosley's Yacht Club Restaurant
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Enjoying a wonderful vista of Wellington Harbour, with rarely used outdoor seating, MB's enjoys a great location. It's hard to avoid the idea that it trades rather heavily on this. Our lunch was good but hard to justify in terms of price. $33 for (a very nice) fish and chips; $39 for a rather plain planxa-grilled gurnard with trimmings didn't seem to stack up that well. My partner was not convinced about the freshness of the fish, either. This delivery vs value equation, together with the suspicion that really fresh fish might be a bit hard to get in Wellington, would turn out to be a feature of the trip.

Martin's restaurant is definitely worth a visit, just don't expect too much and accept it might be a bit pricey.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had dinner at Martin Bosley's during our day in Wellington. Having spent a few days in NZ eating purely meat, we really felt like seafood. Even though the restaurant was fully booked, we managed to have dinner at the bar and enjoy the wonderful shellfish that can be had in Wellington. Martin was a gracious host and really able to recommend to us what to eat, whilst serving that delicious glass of white wine to go along with the food and a glass of champagne to allow my wife and I to celebrate our honeymoon. The view of Wellington from the restaurant is also really gorgeous. All in all, a must if you are staying a short time in Wellington!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'd been looking forward to visiting this restaurant for over a year so admittedly I had high expectations because I had heard good reviews. It may have been an off night on my visit but I was disappointed with the service. I got the impression that because we had not booked ahead we were an inconvenience when we walked through the door and spoke to a lady.
I found the waiter to be very short and sharp. The staff were huddled behind the bar talking for 5 to 10 minutes while me and my partner waited for the menus to be brought to us. We were not offered any water however we did receive a tiny piece of bread. Thank you so much! The portions were extremely modest for the price and the wine was also over priced. I would not return. On the plus side there is a nice view of the water.

1  Thank Louise C
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I dined here recently with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday - and I was impressed. We'd been for the Sunday night fish and chips, but this was the first time I'd been for a more formal dinner. We had the degustation dinner, and it was just glorious. The presentation, the quality of the meals were top notch. The view out over the harbour is a delight, and the service from the staff undeniably good. My only quibble is the cost of the wines! We are all wine buffs, so didn't take the wine matches with our meal, prefering to select bottles from the list - and I was staggered at some of the prices. Everyonbe accepts that restaurants have amark-up on wine, but when a $29 bottle of 2011 Clos Henri is listed at $80, that's a bit steep. It's the only reason I only gave this a 4.5 and not a full 5. It won't stop me going again, but I'm fore-warned.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My absolutely favourite restaurant for when you want to celebrate a special occasion. Impeccable top class silver service, Devine seafood (adore those Diamond Clams) top class deserts to die for. Very nice friendly staff. Martin even serves tables himself if you are lucky. If you love seafood and want a night to remember go to Martin Bosley's. The view is amazing too.