“Disappointment: not good enough to go again”

Martin Bosley's Yacht Club Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We are not Wellingtonians: we have long looked forward to going to this restaurant, and when the opportunity came to try for the first time, we made the booking for the fish and chip specialty on Sunday evening.

View: magnificent
One meager bread roll: plates whipped away before we could ask for another
Fish in batter: delicious
Chips: slightly undercooked - but worse, a mean offering
Glass of wine: offered as part of the fish and chip dinner formula, all three we tried were thin and acidic.
Desserts: Shamefully overpriced, tasteless, and, at half the price, would have been extremely ungenerous. When I read about the "crumbled" meringue, I did not expect to get a few "crumbs", sprinkled over a slice of pineapple with a dessert-spoonful of icecream.
Service: our waiter was excellent, attentive, graceful.
Music: oppressive, and clearly used as a tool to empty the restaurant. At 8.30 p.m. we were the second-to-last table to leave. The music volume increased, and the staff made the clean-up just a little too invasive.

Nothing would persuade me to go back, unless I read that changes had been instituted.

1  Thank 810frances

Reviewed 30 November 2013

My sister and her partner on a weekend away from ChCh shouted us to Saturday evening meal here which we thought was generous as we knew it was pricey. The bread rolls were like concrete and actually took some effort to prise apart - the waiter apologising and telling us they had no other bread that night. My beer battered fish was nice but the much expected chips which for some reason i thought would be special were just McDonalds type chips. My wife had the grilled fish which was under cooked and rubbery. They did take that fish off the price of the meal when we complained and did offer to cook another piece. At $20 a dessert I was hoping for some wow factor but all we got were tiny portions of relatively tasteless concoctions. The service was very attentive and they tried hard but with a restaurant virtually empty on a Saturday evening I felt that something wasn't going well at this restaurant and we were the suckers who were not up with the play.

1  Thank ManovStream
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Enjoying a wonderful vista of Wellington Harbour, with rarely used outdoor seating, MB's enjoys a great location. It's hard to avoid the idea that it trades rather heavily on this. Our lunch was good but hard to justify in terms of price. $33 for (a very nice) fish and chips; $39 for a rather plain planxa-grilled gurnard with trimmings didn't seem to stack up that well. My partner was not convinced about the freshness of the fish, either. This delivery vs value equation, together with the suspicion that really fresh fish might be a bit hard to get in Wellington, would turn out to be a feature of the trip.

Martin's restaurant is definitely worth a visit, just don't expect too much and accept it might be a bit pricey.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had dinner at Martin Bosley's during our day in Wellington. Having spent a few days in NZ eating purely meat, we really felt like seafood. Even though the restaurant was fully booked, we managed to have dinner at the bar and enjoy the wonderful shellfish that can be had in Wellington. Martin was a gracious host and really able to recommend to us what to eat, whilst serving that delicious glass of white wine to go along with the food and a glass of champagne to allow my wife and I to celebrate our honeymoon. The view of Wellington from the restaurant is also really gorgeous. All in all, a must if you are staying a short time in Wellington!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'd been looking forward to visiting this restaurant for over a year so admittedly I had high expectations because I had heard good reviews. It may have been an off night on my visit but I was disappointed with the service. I got the impression that because we had not booked ahead we were an inconvenience when we walked through the door and spoke to a lady.
I found the waiter to be very short and sharp. The staff were huddled behind the bar talking for 5 to 10 minutes while me and my partner waited for the menus to be brought to us. We were not offered any water however we did receive a tiny piece of bread. Thank you so much! The portions were extremely modest for the price and the wine was also over priced. I would not return. On the plus side there is a nice view of the water.

1  Thank Louise C