“Good food but really slow!”
Review of Pravda

Pravda
Ranked #75 of 1,021 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: European, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Set in the heart of the city, Pravda Café & Grill is a Wellington institution; the perfect place to go for everything from a morning espresso to a leisurely lunch, afternoon drink or dinner out. In Russian, Pravda means “the truth”. Hence the eatery’s focus on honest, produce-led dishes that use the very best ingredients New Zealand has to offer. The daytime menus offer flavourful café favourites given a modern spin, along with freshly ground Immigrant’s Son coffee. The cheese scones are world-famous in Wellington, while the breakfast and lunch dishes run the gamut from contemporary egg dishes to innovative salads, burgers and sandwiches, and bistro classics. By night, Pravda is Wellington’s best steakhouse, with a carefully curated selection of exceptional cuts, informed by the menu at Pravda’s siblings, the iconic Jervois Steak House restaurants. At Pravda, a warm welcome always awaits you.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Four of us arrived for dinner. The staff were pleasant but no indication was given re waiting times. The starters came out in good time but then we had to wait over an hour for mains to arrive which was not acceptable. The food was good as is usual but the waiting time was unreasonable

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went to Pravda Cafe a few months ago for brunch! I had poached eggs on toast with a kransky and it was very good.. was it worth what I paid? Absolutely not..
but service was good and the atmosphere was very warm and welcoming!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

the cocktails, the freshly shucked oysters, the wine, the Wagyu (Hanger) steaks, the salads, the sauces - all absolutely faultless. Wish we could had stayed longer for deserts.
Initial serving staff was a bit gid'aye mate bogan though - which was almost endearing - and probably fine if you were a tourist off a cruise ship - but very cheesy & not appropriate for a local spending $200 on a dinner for two. The younger (obviously more junior) serving staff were onto it though, and made sure we received great service after the initial settling in.
We will be back - the food is just so good !!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was my first visit to Pravda, which appears to be a favourite of the local business community, judging by the crowd on a Tuesday night. It is primarily a steak restaurant, with a range of steaks on offer, but it also offers a smaller entree/mains menu. We very much enjoyed our steaks, and the sides were delicious also. Particular standouts were the Yorkshire pudding and the onion rings. We went as a group of six, and they seem to cope fine with larger groups.

There was an unusually long wait after clearing the table before the waiter offered the dessert menu, almost as if he didn't expect us (or want us) to order dessert. However, I'm glad we did as I had a raspberry creme brulee which was incredible. I'd go back just to eat that dessert again (although the steaks are also great). Definitely worth a visit if you can handle the prices ($49 for wagyu eye fillet without any sides).

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Pravda just got it all wrong yesterday...
In arrival for a pre-work breakfast with 2 friends there was no advice that things would be slow. The friends were 10 minutes ahead of me & had ordered coffee.
I sat & ordered a coffee, mine arrived after 10 minutes (nice coffee too), there’s didn’t. We attracted attention to order meals, and followed up on the coffee, which arrived in another 5 minutes.
We placed food orders at 08:10 & I asked for another coffee, which was delivered (nice, again).
By 8:45 I asked if the meals were on their way and was told “sorry for the delay, 2 minutes “.
I left without any food at 7:55 as I had to get to work.
My friends meals arrived just after 8:00.
On going to pay there was no apology, no offer to discount the coffees, no offer for future discount.
Not at all good.