“Yumz!”

Thorndon Chippery
Ranked #175 of 1,021 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$3 - US$17
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great fish n chips and the portion was good! Love the face you could choose the type of fish, how it’s cooked, the sauce and the sides. It gets busy close to evening so best to head there early to get seats!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So it was an extra busy day at the Chippery this day and despite ordering online we had to wait more than half an hour for our meals. I ordered the chicken tenders as part of my meal and unfortunately they were over done. The crumb on them was nice they'd just been in the fryer way too long...result, dry and unpleasantly crunchy.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The Thorndon Chippery is not your ordinary fish and chip shop; the food is fantastic. The chips are well made (in various cuts) in generous portions, and the burgers and fish are fresh and tasty. The food is thoughtfully presented in boxes for takeaway and on boards and metal bowls for eat in - all in keeping with the quality style they are aiming at. The Chippery is licensed with a number of beers on tap.

The Chippery is the old Thorndon firehouse with tables to eat in if you are not taking away. The heating and ceiling fans make it a good space whatever the weather.

For locals there is a very useful loyalty program and a delivery service. Visitors will find the Chippery well placed a little further down the road from Old St Pauls church opposite the New World supermarket. The lunch special is well priced - and the half priced chips special between 2-4pm is good value (best to go before 3.30pm when the schools are out and things get busy at the Chippery).

All up a very welcome addition to Thorndon.

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

1 scoop of chips gave us 27 chips

Fish and chip shops should be embarrassed this place shares their name.

It was expensive (which is fine) but for 27 chips? No way. We even asked if 1 scoop is enough to feed 2 adults and they said yes

this was recommended by a local as they had heard it was good, which is why we wanted to try it but it was a complete rip off.

We also had 2 burgers; pork and southern chicken. They were fine, but again, extremely expensive for what is served.

I would never go here again, this place should change the menu to a “snack menu”.
I know this is a harsh review, but for what we were served? It was appalling.

I wasn’t going to print this and actually rang them to let them know, very politely that is it was pretty bad and unsure if it was a mix up with our order? They took my name, email, phone number and said they would ring back and offered to replace our meal which would come via email - it never has

thechippery, General Manager at Thorndon Chippery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

I am very sorry that you were not happy with your meal and that your complaint was not followed up in the first instance. If you would not mind sending through your details to info@thechippery.co.nz I will personally look into your complaint.

Our chip scoop size is 380-400g and above the recommended industry standard of 330g raw weight. Our hand-cut chips are made from quality Agria potatoes, peeled, blanched and chipped in-house. A large majority of our menu is made from scratch using fresh produce by qualified chefs.

We believe our product is different from the local 'Chippy' and considering we offer a licensed bar, and an option to eat in at no further cost, a great loyalty programme, and weekly specials, we represent very good value for money.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some valuable feedback, I look forward to receiving your email.

Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

I placed an order for 17 people and Abi was great. I got to email my order in an specified a midday pick up. It was ready bang on 12 and he had carry boxes for us.

The food was amazing. I had a tempura batter and it didn't leave a greasy aftertaste. The kumara fries were perfect, not a soggy chip to be found.

Great experience, will definitely go back.