Lowest prices for your stay
US$89
Free cancellation until 04/12/21
US$89
Free cancellation until 03/12/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Agoda.com
US$88
Hotels.comUS$89
PricelineUS$89
eDreamsUS$89
All reviews motel units sports bar duty manager blue cod place to stay new zealand spacious rooms stayed one night city centre home away from home emberz sauna facilities accommodation outskirts corridor dunedin
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 August 2021 via mobile

This was an amazing stay under extraordinary circumstances. The Ascot Park was an example of how great people can make things so much better.

I was attending a sporting National Championships, being held in the excellent conference venue, when a serious COVID-19 outbreak saw all of New Zealand go into Lebel 4 (our most strict) lockdown conditions. Everyone was expected to isolate-in-place. Restaurants and takeaway outlets closed. Out-of-town travellers had 48 hours to return home, effective from midnight on a Tuesday night.

So, what did the Ascot Park do? Within 30m of the announcement, front-of-house staff had implemented safety measures (masks and screens at reception, for instance). They had a plan to offer guests a quarantine-compliant room-service breakfast the next day, and allowed a complimentary 4pm late-check-out which kept me from hanging out in Invercargill Airport for eight hours.

I’d already been impressed with the venue - very well kept, with immaculate rooms, spotlessly clean and well-appointed. Housekeeping staff were cheerful, helpful and professional, and the staff in Embers, the in-house restaurant were similarly very very good and their jobs, and the food was of a very good standard. It’s a quiet location, with rooms well isolated from road noise in a park-like setting.

In short, a very impressive facility, with awesome people.

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Bryan Townley, General Manager at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2021

Thank you for your very kind review. Our key focus is to ensure our guests and the Ascot Park Hotel team are well looked after at all times.
We were so disappointed to see the National Power lifting champs come to an abrupt end. All of the contestants and officials were a pleasure to have in the Hotel. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to host again some time. Until then stay safe. Kind regards Bryan and the team.

Reviewed 19 July 2021 via mobile

Clean and tidy. Good heating and unit was spacious. Had a little kitchenette with cook top so very handy.
Room service which was very nice and a very generous serving.
One thing to note is the motel units have showers over the bath so not so good if you’re not very agile and if you’re a bigger person the toilet is seperate and quite a confined space.
Otherwise a good night.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Dean Nicol, General Manager at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2021

Dear Guest
Firstly I would like to thank you for your time and for providing the hotel with all important feedback.
I am sure the information about the room will be helpful to other travelers also. I hope we will get the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. Stay safe.

Reviewed 14 July 2021 via mobile

Although I like the courtesy shuttle (being in a Non-Uber community). It did felt like I was stranded in the middle of nowhere and the off putting reply I got when I asked for Uber alternatives was "It's Invercargill".

I don't drive and since I pay for my stay, I should never got a childish response like this. Here in Auckland, we Uber.

But thankfully someone actually told me about the Courtesy Shuttle (and our driver informing me of other shuttles around ILT establishments).

When booking for breakfast online as part of the accommodation package. At least put the breakfast times. 9am is a bit too early to close breakfast, although they were accommodating for 9.30am. I also didnt like the "it's Wednesday" childish response too.

About breakfast, everything was out of order, toast didn't toast my GF bread properly, there were no coffee cups, brown sugar for porridge was hard, along with the cream that's hard to find. Hash browns were cold too.

Alot of mold and mildew in the King Deluxe Room, musty smell too. I can write my name on the window. Mold in bathroom vent and it's damp.

Don't know what happened to dinner with our long wait for the wait staff to attend us, perhaps being hidden behind the curtain wasn't such a good idea but thanks for the bottle of wine.

Ascot sports bar door (closest to Hotel entrance) was locked and the staff didn't even care. It was cold and rainy and we not use to your weather either.

Pros of the ascot hotel.

Can plug in my devices into your TV set with ease.
Located next to the cemetery (which is why we chose Invercargill and Ascot).

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bryan Townley, Other at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2021

Hello Aspie
Wow what can I say this certainly was downward spiral and it appears we really did let our guard down here, certainly not what I would expect at any level. We pride ourselves on our genuine southern hospitality however some our mannerisms may come across a little casual but never with any intend to be disrespectful. I was made aware via your in house guest comment form of the mould/mildew in the bathroom skylight, this has been remedied not that it should have been there at the start.
Please accept my sincere apology I am at a loss. Always happy to discuss further in person if you so wish.
Kind regards Bryan Townley Executive Manager

Reviewed 9 June 2021 via mobile

After arrival ….. Motel

The cancellation policy reads…..way down the bottom of the accommodation description.

“Cancellation Policy Please note that when booking a motel unit at Ascot Park, you are booking a 3-star self-rated motel-style room. These are not part of the hotel complex. Before proceeding with your online booking, please ensure you are booking the correct type of accommodation you require.”

Only “self” or a close relative would rate the motel three stars.

And the above disclaimer should perhaps be somewhat more to the fore.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled on business
Bryan Townley, Other at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2021

Hello Muzza
We have placed this disclaimer in order to avoid confusion between the Hotel and Motel accommodation as some people tend to book on price rather than actual room type, which in turn means the guest may not get the type of accommodation they were after. Our Motel units are very popular for those who are wanting a self contained unit at a very reasonable price. Our Hotel Accommodation is a very high 4 star Qualmark rated property offering superior, suite and apartment accommodation options.
We would love to have you back to experience our Hotel accommodation. Kind regards Bryan Townley Executive Manager.

Reviewed 20 May 2021 via mobile

I try to avoid using this site to air complaints but our recent experience here provided real contrasts. Stayed initially in one of the older rooms which was perfectly comfortable and had a completely acceptable meal in the restaurant. Upon our return we stayed in a refurbished room. The decor won't have universal appeal but the room was very nice with good facilities. After a week of eating blue cod, we craved bar food and a simple hamburger. Bad choice. Stone cold bun and an over cooked patty with a real mess of a filling. The fries were fine, but how hard is it to cook a decent burger? We refused to pay which required the intervention of the maitre d', and this was a very disappointing experience. Staff were pleasant and willing but seemed stretched with the number of people needing service. We'd look elsewhere for our next stay, especially as comments to the Manager have gone unanswered.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bryan Townley, Other at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2021

Hello Ian
I am so sorry to read of your disappointing experience with us. Not at all acceptable. We are way better than this, however we certainly failed to provide the quality and service we pride ourselves on. Please accept my sincere apology, I hope you may return and let us prove to you what we really are about. Kind regards Bryan Townley executive Manager.