Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Priceline
Hotels.comUS$76
CheapTicketsUS$76
eDreamsUS$88
Orbitz.comUS$76
All reviews games room large communal kitchen central location great value for money comfortable bed the main road cinema microwave cbd
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 July 2021

I came to stay for a couple of nights to check the place out and see if it would be good to live in for my first semester of study at SIT, (with the weekly room rate- $250p/week).
There is one large kitchen/lounge on the top floor, a great space with a dining table, TV, couches and even a computer to use.
However the kitchen was barely functional due to a desperate lack of kitchen equipment.
There are two other kitchens, (albeit a lot smaller), on the other floors, but unfortunately they have the same problem also. If all the equipment from the 3 was combined in one it might almost ok, but obviously it’s not practical (or probably, allowed), to scour each kitchen for things you need when you go to cook something.
I thought this was pretty poor, after all people are paying good money to live/stay here. Accommodation for students is a little hard to find in Invercargill, especially so close to the campuses. Sadly the managers of this place seem to be exploiting this fact by providing the bare minimum.
Honestly I think it is a real shame as the communal spaces are really great apart from this.
During my stay I took an inventory of what was in each kitchen, to share with others who may be in a similar position, looking for somewhere to call home for a while.

Top Floor Kitchen (Level 4):
Kettle, (NO TOASTER), 2 ovens, 3 hobbs, cups and glasses, cutlery, can opener, bread cutting knife, sieve, wooden spoons, flippers, tongs, large plates, tiny bowls, plastic small bowls, microwave, 1 pan., can’t remember if there was a pot?
+ a locked cupboard with a sign saying to ask reception to open to use cooking equipment inside- I did ask reception but they told me that the equipment is for staff to cook breakfast (paid for breakfasts) with; not for guest use!
+ one plastic cutting board- which I begged above staff member to provide! (first he handed me a glass placemat- I had to tell him it wasn’t a cutting board…)
+ I discovered later there were some bowls (which weren’t plastic camping bowls, and cups in the dishwasher, but they were all dirty- at 1pm in the afternoon).

Level 3 Kitchen
Several pots and pans, 2 ovens, 3 hobbs, grater, colander, wooden spoons, a couple of cups, 1 bread cutting knife, 2 chopping knives, 1 glass placemat (cutting board?), a couple of plates,
No cutlery, no kettle, no toaster…

Level 2 Kitchen
1 glass placemat (again- cutting board?), 2 x bottle openers, sieve, 1 serving spoon, tongs, can opener, a couple of pots and pans, some cups, 1 medium sized bowl, 1 tiny bowl (like ramequin size), 3 chopping knives- blunt.
Once again no kettle, no toaster.

Aside from the kitchen situation: my room was fine I enjoyed it; fairly (not amazingly), clean, bed and warmth good, shower good. Terrible smell from off-gassing vinyl bedhead- I had to sleep upside down on the bed and cover it with a blanket. Also the duvet smelt like sweat and was only covered with sheets. Manager pretty unapproachable.

So hopefully things change around here as I think it’s pretty shocking to advertise something as a place you can live and not have a functional kitchen situation. Definitely glad I checked it out before applying for the long-term accommodation. Shame as I would have liked to have stayed here.

Come on Ibis styles, sort it out, it’s not fair on your guests/ tenants.

Room tip: my room on the 4th floor down the end of the hallway was very quiet
Date of stay: July 2021
Margaret Mason, Other at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2021

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you did enjoy your room and your stay, minus the utensils in our guest kitchens. If you were a live in resident here you would not be using any of the kitchens mentioned here, our residents are on level 1 only. We do try keep our kitchens stock but unfortunately it does not stop stuff from going missing. If a guest was to ask about any utensils we do not have we do always try our best to accommodate what they are needing.

Reviewed 9 July 2021 via mobile

Stayed at better hostels and student accomodation
All right for the very budget aware ..
Very average hotel no facilities in house very small cold drafty rooms with no place to put my luggage other than on the desk , not even enough space on the floor
The bathroom is very basic and I don’t think ive showered in a smaller cubical ever .
Heating did not work and of course I arrived after hours and didn’t find this out till 4 am in the middle of winter
The beds are ok but sadly are doubles , I guess this is the only one they could fit in these halls of residence
The apartment label is deceptive there is a kitchen but it’s not an apartment
I’ll try and avoid this one next time

Room tip: Be prepared
Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled on business
Margaret Mason, Other at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2021

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing stay with us. We will pass on your feedback to management.

Reviewed 2 June 2021 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the room very adequate.
The rooms and bathroom were clean.
The bed was comfy, as were the pillows.
Rooms have radiator heating which was very good.
Bedroom was seperate to a living room, so my wife was able to stay up a bit later and watch TV without disturbing me. Great!
Location is also good.
Parking was available outside the front door on the main road. Free from 5pm to 9am.
Not the flashiest of hotels, but as I said very adequate, clean and comfy.
Would have no problem staying here again.

Room tip: Free parking outside the front door on the main road from 5pm to 9am. Otherwise hotel parking is available at an extra cost. The location is very handy.
Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank NZ_Rick_n_Kay
Margaret Mason, Other at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2021

Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are happy to hear that your stay was comfortable and you enjoyed the room overall. We are also happy you liked our location and that you would come and stay with us again. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 May 2021

We recently had a short trip to Invercargill and stayed here. Our room was very clean, neat and tidy with everything we needed in it. Good location and very friendly, helpful staff. We would definitely stay here again in the future.

Date of stay: April 2021
Margaret Mason, Other at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2021

Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased that you had a great stay with us. We are happy to hear that you were very happy with you room and liked our location. We are also happy that our staff were able to help you out with anything you needed and make your stay more welcoming. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2021

The hotel has been converted from a student apartment type accommodation and is in an old building, however the rooms are modern clean and spacious. The beds are comfy and the bathroom had a good shower in it. The hotel does provide access to gym, but you need to ask reception. There is no restaurant however plenty of cafe's in the local area. I recommend Toasted, absolutely delicious! I had two seperate bookings and the hotel was kind enough to put me in the same room for both meaning i did not need to check out. Much appreciated

Date of stay: April 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Holz64
Margaret Mason, Other at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2021

Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are pleased that your stay was comfortable and you enjoyed your room. We are also glad that our staff were able to make it easier for you by allocating the same room for both nights, meaning you did not have to shuffle around and you could just enjoy your time.