Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$142
eDreamsUS$142
TripadvisorUS$142
FindHotel
Agoda.comUS$141
ZenHotels.com
All reviews native birds quick tour ferry terminal up hill place to stay relaxing stay small kitchenette front porch comfortable beds location is great ulva island bird song studio unit wood pigeon self catering min walk the pub
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 February 2021

Lovely bush setting with Kaka birds right on your deck. Lots of Tui and wood pigeons all around you. We had the two bedroom cottage which was clean and comfortable and everything supplied was good quality. It was only 5 mins walk down the hill to the hub of Oban. which was very convenient. Very friendly helpful staff too

Date of stay: February 2021
Reviewed 14 January 2021

We are just back from 3 nights at Kaka retreat and we will certainly be back for another visit. The units are very modern, spacious and absolutely spotless. I think what made the difference here were the thoughtful little extra touches, such as the rack of umbrellas by reception and the night light strips on the stairs to the unit. The small outdoor space at the front was a real bonus as a place to relax and read. As we booked directly we had a continental breakfast each morning, which was great to get us going for the day. The cheerful and welcoming hosts will pick you up and drop you off to ferry/flight. The units are fully serviced, although you can choose not to have a service if you wish, we chose not to as we had more than enough fresh towels, etc to keep us going. There was an outdoor BBQ to use, which again, was spotless. We didn't use it, but enjoyed chatting to our unit neighbours as they cooked their dinner. There is everything you need for self-catering, but we were happy to take the 4 min walk to the pub for dinner. The location is fabulous and super quiet. The real treat was being visited by the Kaka in the evening, they are not shy and come up close! I have stayed at a lot of motels across NZ and this is absolutely one of the best - I could have stayed here happily for a couple of weeks.

2  Thank princess3016
Reviewed 31 December 2020

We stayed four nights at the Kaka Retreat. We were a bit worried as we had a studio unit for my teenage son, my partner and myself. We needn't have been, while cozy we had plenty of room and the verandah meant we could spread out a little.

The accommodation we clean, well presented and supported by on site staff. Because we booked direct we received a complimentary basic breakfast which was very useful to help us keep costs down and fill us up in the morning. The location is great, just up the hill from the settlement, an easyish walk (a little harder on the way home up hill).

They picked and dropped us from the ferry which made organizing travel on the island that much easier as we had no car.

If you get a chance stay - and look out for the friendly Kaka who visits often.

Reviewed 10 December 2020 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the Kaka Retreat Motel. My room was clean and spacious.A very quiet and peaceful place to just relax.A van even came down to pick me up . The driver was great as she showed me around Oban before taking me to the motel. I highly recommend the Kaka motel in Oban Stewart Island.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2020

We had a comfortable night stay as the unit is well appointed. I was eager to meet the kaka, however by 10 pm I just wanted them to shut up and go to sleep! They were arguing in the trees outside our room.
There were several notes and signs about the premises emphasizing it is a environmentally friendly accommodation but then there were a lot of single use items provided.
I didn't appreciate the officious staff visit at 9.50 telling us to get out as it was 10am. Our unit clock said 9.50 so we were still packing and doing some dishes. We were then told to wait in our room as the van was out dropping people off.

Date of stay: October 2020