Red Tussock Motel
Book now, pay at stay
US$129
US$144
US$140
Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas(Te Anau)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$98
US$105
US$82
Agoda.com
Anchorage Motel Apartments(Te Anau)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 01/06
US$66
US$64
Bella Vista Motel(Te Anau)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$69
Agoda.com
Arran Motel(Te Anau)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$61
Agoda.com
Explorer Motel & Apartments(Te Anau)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$68
Agoda.com
Aden Motel(Te Anau)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$58
Priceline
Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park(Te Anau)(Great Value!)
US$31
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbowl of fruitmilford soundfuel stationevery guestminute walk to the shopsfriendly managermilford trackwifi worked wellroom was cleancooking facilitiesdoc officetown centretwo bedroom unitinformation centreuseful informationbeyond the call of dutystayed for two nights
Reviewed 17 January 2016

We had a wonderful experience at the red tussock motel. Our room was clean and perfect for our big family. The owner, robin, was so friendly and extremely helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. He gave us great recommendations for dinner and activities. Our room had a lovely view. We had a very short walk along the lake to the town. Everything was perfect. The kids loved the trampoline.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie M
RedTussock, Owner at Red Tussock Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2016

Thank you and I hope you can come and enjoy another stay with us sometime.

Reviewed 16 January 2016

I will start out withe the positive aspects: The room spotlessly clean (albeit dated) and the outside area was tidy and inviting.

Now for the negative: Robin, the owner. I must have caught him on a very bad day. Check in was a nightmare. First I received the hard sell for all the places he receives a referral fee from. Then I was instructed, drill sergeant style, on how to do everything from opening a door to using a kettle. He was relentless. Later on, I had no choice but to approach him again with a simple question. Instead of just answering, he turned it into an unnecessary drama where he had a starring role. Definitely not the kind of host you want to deal with after a long trip.

I can't in good conscious recommend this place based not the actions of the owner.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TunaDePiedra

I am sorry you have misinterpreted my intentions. I like to give incoming guests as much information as possible to ensure that during the night, they have difficulties. I receive no "kick backs" from any sources I suggest and just want to ensure that you enjoy the likes of a restaurant etc as there are some in town I would not recommend. The same with cruises, I have preferences from my own experiences and wish to pass these on.The unit you booked and stayed in is clearly shown on our website as "older style".We have more modern units and are presently at the planning stages of building 4 new two bedroom units which will be "state of the arts".I hope you can return sometime and experience them once constructed.

Reviewed 16 January 2016

Great location for access to lakeside trails, just across the street from the DOC center. Excellent running and walking along a multitude of trails, along the lake in both directions, as well as up into Ivon Wilson Park. Only about a 10-15min walk into the town center along the lake – a beautiful walk! We chose this hotel as it was one of the only dog friendly options in Te Anau – but be aware that the yard/property is not fully enclosed so you will need to watch your pets so they don’t stray into the street.

We were greeted and shown around by the manager, Robyn, who was very friendly and provided a lot of useful information. We were travelling with family and thus booked a 2-bedroom apartment. It was of decent size, with a functional kitchen and living area. We had no lake view to speak of, being located at the back of the property. I’d say that only 1 or 2 rooms in the hotel would actually have lake views. Furniture and fittings were all fairly dated and in need of updating, but still it was comfortable enough, and we had a good, relaxing stay. Free Wifi internet is provided but only at 1Gb at a time. Just make sure that you don’t run out of internet time outside of business hours, or you will have to wait until the following day to get more.

Overall, a great stay, and recommended to other travelers for their stay in Te Anau.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank DanO68

Thank you and I now provide up to 10 gb's FOC to ensure that high users of the wifi do not run out of usage outside of office hours.
Thank you for your kind words and you may be interested to know that we have listened to people who have stayed in the "older style" units as shown on our website and are at the planning stages of 4 new two bedroom units that will be "state of the arts".

Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

Stayed one night in an upstairs room. Decor dated but it was clean and relatively comfortable. Shower was really good. The rain couldn't be helped ( but it did mean the view was limited.
A couple of things - there was a drip that went right through the night. We think it wasn't connected to the rain.
The towels were meagre and not that nice. It is amazing what makes an impact when staying in motels. Large thick towels would have been appreciated.

One last thing. We booked through the motels website. There was a large banner saying if we booked through this website we would be offered either breakfast or a bottle of wine. We didn't book because of the offer but disappointing that this promotion wasn't mentioned by the owner.

We would have given three and a half dots but that wasn't an option.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Erin P
Reviewed 10 December 2015

The Red Tussock is a comfortable and welcoming motel in Te Anau, an excellent base for exploring Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound. Good walks along the lake front by the motel. Robin, owner/manager was entirely helpful offering advice on where to go and what to see. Warm, fairly quiet, parking adjacent, the Superior room on the first floor was worth paying extra for

Room Tip: Superior rooms on the first floor cost extra but seemed worth it
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter W
RedTussock, Owner at Red Tussock Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2017

Thank you and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.