New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 12 Wollongong B&B and Inns
sydney
“changed hands”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

This hotel is now under new management and reviews pre November 2010 may be inaccurate!! It will be interesting to see what patrons think? It is hard to follow such a great reputation.
My husband and I have used this hotel for short stays in the area but sadly no more.

Room Tip: check all others in price range
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stillatit
Farraniii, Owner at Normandie Motel, responded to this review, 9 April 2011
In response to message from the person who does not intend to come here anymore. Unfortunately we've never met you. We understand that you were the person that e-mailed us asking for accommodation, not advising your circumstances. Yes we are new management and we have a good reputation to follow. We don't know you and not aware of any special arrangement you had prior to us. Our tariffs have not changed since the previous management. We have reduced rates for Seniors and specials from time to time.
The ambiance of our our Motel has not changed. We aim to please and hope people enjoy their stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

I stayed at the Normandie because previous reviews gave it top marks, and it compared favourably in price to the otherwise ludicrous motel prices in Wollongong. This is a tiny city that does NOT cater to tourists but the motels charge top dollar anyway.

To give it credit, the Normandie was quiet and clean and the staff were friendly, but I can't find any other positives, and I am NOT a person who normally complains. In this instance I don't want others to be led astray.

The mattress on my bed was as hard as a rock and lumpy, and an inner spring 'spronged' through the night.

The TV was tiny and a fair distance from the bed on a shelf so was hard to see. The towels were old, and the decor was somewhat dated. Another minor irritation was that no decaf coffee was provided.

My biggest annoyance though was the apparently free wifi access. There was no access in the room due to poor signal strength (unfortunately the only good signal strength on offer was from a neighbour :-) I was told that the signal strength being poor was due to the battery on my laptop not being able to pick it up, which is just a nonsense answer...! Free wifi is a basic requirement for many people now, it should not be so hard to organise.

This could be a good motel easily with a little more TLC and a few more routers for the wifi, but I won't stay there again. Poor value for a highly priced 3 star room.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank valdajoan
, Owner at Normandie Motel, responded to this review, 3 November 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is disappointing that you had such a negative experience, whilst staying in Wollongong. We would however wish to respond to the comments the guest has made.

Over the past two years Wollongong has increased its sleeping capacity with over 700 new beds, with 4 new serviced apartments & the recent addition of a new International hotel. We are proud of the facilities that Wollongong has to offer to the tourist industry.

As Wollongong moves into its peak tourist season prices increase & we at the Normandie offer competitive rates for a mid range, AAA rated 3 star, motel in the North Beach area.

We would like to thank the guest for the positive feed back regarding the staff & the cleanliness of the motel.

We have undertaken to rectify the issue regarding bedding & new towels are replenished on a regular basis.

Refurbishment of rooms are on going & are currently being undertaken.

The TV in the room occupied by this guest is a 51cm HD LCD TV & whilst it is not a large TV it is situated within 5 mtrs of the bed head.

The Normandie recognises the necessity for Internet access & past guest reviews have commented on the strength or an inability to receive a signal in a minority of our rooms. Due to the age & structure of the Normandie a quick fix is not that simple, we are seeking a solution.
Most of our rooms have excellent access to WiFi.

Battery strength & laptop age can affect the ability to receive a strong WiFi signal. Where guests cannot receive a solid signal the use of the guest lounge is suggested for a guaranteed signal strength, this was offered to this reviewer

We acknowledge that in todays age WiFi access by accommodation providers is a must, unfortunately free Wifi is a luxury

Mark Fisher
Proprietor

Travellers are raving about these Wollongong hotels

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

This is an older building. But the location - two blocks away from Wollongong's spectacular North Beach - is superb! And Michelle and Mark are perfect hosts. They are the most attentive hotel managers I've ever encountered! The rooms at the Normandie are comfortable and clean. The bar is cosy and the restauarant serves fine food along traditional continental lines. Wollongong is undersupplied with good accommodation, considering that it is a coastal city only an hour south of Sydney with a population of 300,000. Some visitors will be drawn to the usual chains like the Novotel and Ibis. I don't consider them to be especially good value for money in this city. You should certainly try this hotel for a very personal, pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank thomaspj
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

From the moment you arrive at the Normandie you can tell it is run by a loving couple that pours their heart and soul into the place. Mark and Michelle provide unparalled hospitality and a cosy atmosphere for everyone (its not a wonder that every time you stay here you see someone you've met here before). I've never stayed in a motel that feels so much like home. The Normandie's cleanliness is second to none and their food to die for. I would recommend the Normandie to absolutely everybody and wont stay anywhere else when in wollongong.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

Having had the choice (and tried it) of staying 1 hours drive closer to project, I chose the Normandie to stay for off / on about 4 months. Location, ease of travel, food selection and most of all the hosts had me feeling like I came 'home' every night after work. Met other travelers there and resulting conversations confirmed my opinion of the cordiality of the Aussie people. Got several recommendations on travels, sites to see and what to do. This proved invaluable when I had my wife come over to join me at the end of the project. She enjoyed Wollongong and the Normandie as much as I had and remarked my loss of 6.2 kg.... guess Michele was right ... eat your veggies and get out and walk or go to beach for a swim... thanks, Michele ... and I owe a big thanks to Mark as well for being 'inducted' into his group of the 531 club. Great mates and good conversations are always remembered.... Good on ya!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business