“Ocean Plaza very pleasantly suprised.”
Review of Ocean Plaza Resort

Ocean Plaza Resort
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Coolangatta
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment with Mint and got a confirmed booking, then the night before checking in we got a call to say that we were being moved to the hotel next door Ocean Plaza.
As we always use trip advisor we were a bit wary of having a different hotel.
When we checked in we had a look at apartment and apart from the dodgy decoration in the halway we were very pleased with the standard for the fixtures and fittings.
Very good sized apartment, excellent views, and very quiet.
The only hassel was the car parking as its a bit of a maze to find and there is no lift inside the secure car parking for the hotel.
But would definately stay here again as the beachfront apartments get sun late into the day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ShaunScotland

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I have been to Ocean Plaza for 12 years sometimes 2 and 3 times a year. I have stayed in 3 bedroom apartments and 2 bedroom apartments. I have been in front units and the side facing to Surfers and side facing to Rainbow Bay.
We have been there as a family and with many groups of friends. Love the place and its peacefulness. Views are to dream of. I think everytime I go there I am on an island on my own as it is just perfect.
Never had a problem and find the office staff particularly helpful and pleasant. They are always ready and willing to communicate with each guest as they approach the check in desk.
Claire is a pleasant and very welcoming lady who has been there in the past 7/8 years and I always look forward to being greeted and welcomed by her as I know there is a smile to welcome me. I will not stay anywhere else in Coolangatta or Gold Coast but Ocean Plaza even if we have other friends up at Surfers etc - I will travel up to see them or preferably stay and enjoy my great view and friendliness of Ocean Plaza. Already planning my next trip up in November.

Room Tip: Any room is perfect depends on your own choice. I am different than you are so your choice is yours...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I arrived here just as reception was closing up at 6pm on a Friday night. A poor welcome was offered by the indifferent reception staff. I felt like my presence was a major imposition, but I was tired and just wanted to get to my room and relax.

I exited the lift to find orange carpet and seriously outdated decor in the hallway, but was not overly concerned as the pictures I had seen both on Mint's website and indeed Tripadvisor were more promising.

I opened my apartment door to be met with the stale stench of tobacco, laundry, sweat and old cooking. Anyone who has been in an op shop will know what smell I am describing.

My first impressions of the apartment were poor: Dirty grimy tiles, tired paint on the walls and fittings that had seen better days.... in the 80's. I made my way down to reception to challenge my room assignment, but they had gone home and I resigned myself to a night in the 80's apartment.

On closer inspection, it was evident that an effort had been made to smarten up the apartment by installing a newer kitchen and adding some newish furniture. The smell however was almost overpowering.

On retiring that night, I started to itch. four hours later I had to quit the bed and try to sleep on the couch. I was itching all over, this was either from some kind of infestation of the bed, or by allergenic substances in the sheets.

I visited reception once again to see if there was anyone on duty through the night, it was deserted.

The following morning I packed up and left the hotel. Seriously grumpy after a poor night's sleep, the staff were at their indifferent best, and when challenged with my assertion that the bed was infested, I was first asked to prove it by showing the staff bite marks! I was then told that the previous occupants of the room had not lodged any complaint of this nature, and therefore I must have brought the itch with me..... that was the last straw. I left before I lost my manners.

36 hours later I received an email from the manager telling me that the apartment had been inspected by a third party and no evidence of bedbug infestation had been found. The attached report made no mention of fleas or dust mites, which are almost invisible to the maked eye.
The management were however wanting to offer me a free night on my next stay (if I booked three nights and paid for them!) and a complimentary bottle of wine.

Needless to say I won't be taking them up on their offer and will be pursuing a chargeback through my credit card company for this dreadful experience.

I would urge any potential guests of this property to think very carefully before they book and pay for this accommodation, for the following reasons:

The pictures on their website are misleading and not a true representation of the property.

The staff are not appropriately trained to deal with the public, to the point of being rude.

Please see the attached pictures and make up your own mind. There are much better choices on the Gold Coast, The Wave and The Meriton in Broadbeach, and the place I found an itch-free and modern haven the following night.. Nirvana By The Sea in Kirra Beach.

Room Tip: A tip to choose a good room.... avoid this property!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank Irish_Jet_Set
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Nine years ago we visited family in Tugon and booked part of our stay at Calypso..when they could not find a room for the remainder we wandered down to Ocean Plaza...what a find! Later after retirement we started coming there every year for 6+ weeks in the winter...large condo sitting across from the beach, wonderful quiet little town, great management and wonderful rates for stays over 28 days..we golf but need no car as free bus is available to take us to course where they happily store our clubs..yes it is a long flight from US but once you are there it is like you are home and if you consider cost of car rental, green fees and housing in Palm Springs or Hawaii it more than makes up for cost of your airline ticket.

Portland Oregon

Room Tip: Avoid studio facing back, corner and front are best
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank merry r
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The Ocean Plaza is in a prime location right in the centre of Coolangatta, catch the elevator down to level 1 and you are right in the shopping centre with an Aldi and 6 screen cinema complex. Rooms are fitted out to a high standard with great beds and comfortable sofa's. TV is a little small but reception is perfect, all digital freeview channels and a small selection of cable channels (for some reason located in the 900 channel range), no internet but it's cheaper to buy a mobile broadband dongle anyway than use hotel internet. The pool is great and the spa/jacuzzi is a nice warm temperature. The staff are friendly and very helpful, overall this is a great hotel, the 2 bedroom apartments are very spacious and a real delight to come back to. Rooms are cleaned to a high standard, something that the Outrigger Twin Towns needs to focus on!! Ocean Plaza is my number 1 pick for Coolangatta

Room Tip: High floor, great views
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family