“Great Punjabi”

Pure Punjabi Indian cuisine
Ranked #1,666 of 3,137 Restaurants in Gold Coast
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Reviewed 9 December 2016

Tucked in behind Southport's CBD is this great , but small Indian Punjabi restaurant. Blink and you would miss it! Really in Chinatown area of Southport. However, the delicious curry aromas wafting around makes for good first impressions.

A large menu of just about anything Punjabi is a must to try. The chicken drumsticks and goat curry with two flavors of Naan bread are excellent I think.
Pleasant fast service by Nick I think it was really set the tone.

Parking outside , paid probably but very close. Can do takeaways.

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

This little Indian restaurant was recommended by an Indian associate. We have been twice. The northern Indian cuisine is homely, generous reasonably priced and absolutely delicious. But if you like it hot make sure you ask for hot as the chef is very aware of Aussie tastes. The waiter was extremely attentive. Best nan/roti in town.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

Well what a surprise !!!
I generally make the pilgrimage from my offices in Smith St to the CBD in Southport daily to enjoy the array of different foods on offer.
Wondering through what is apparently " Chinatown" in Davenport St. I came across a small understated Indian restaurant called...Pure Punjabi.
My first impression from the outside was far from enthusiastic, it was dark, a little foreboding and most certainly uninviting. However the rich aromas of spices instantly caught my attention and plucking up my courage I was lured inside by my nose...much to the consternation of my colleague and his vain protestation of uncertainty.
What a revelation....
We were warmly greeted by Nick...our host,chef and waiter.He cheerfully pointed out the highlights of his extensive menu and proceeded to indulge us with his hospitality by also saying should we require anything not contained within his menu he was more than happy to oblige...so rare in any restaurant....and all said with a beaming smile and a twinkle in his eye.
By this stage the aromatic spices had me salivating...so without a second thought we ordered ..Chicken Tandoori as entrée followed by Goat Vindaloo accompanied by basmati rice and garlic naan.

WOW !!!!

Rarely have I tasted such authentic Indian food outside of the Sub Continent let alone in downtown Southport. All the dishes were large..succulent..fresh and flavoursome. Between each course Nick would attend our table to see how 2 Aussie guys were enjoying his fare, you could see he genuinely wanted to please and was extremely proud of his culinary abilities.
Since that day we return every Thursday to be awed by both the service and exceptional value of a truly authentic Punjabi restaurant...with serving sizes fit for a king.

I would urge you to look past the dour exterior and be amazed by the hidden treasures within this spotlessly maintained Indian restaurant hidden away in Southport......the food and service are most certainly 5 Star quality.