“Disappointing Diner”

Mikis Open Kitchen
Price range: US$23 - US$53
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Miki's Open Kitchen is tempura dining restaurant in Margaret River that features an open kitchen where guests can comfortably sit around the counter and watch Miki and his team prepare amazing dishes, located at the back of the arcade behind Cafe 131, with a great local wine list Japanese beer and sake, be sure to make a booking as we are only a small restaurant. Open dinner service only Tuesday - Saturday from 6pm
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

We looked so much forward to Japanese but we very disappointed. At 100$ per person we were expecting top quality food and service but the food is not comparable of what we ate in Japan or other Japanese restaurants in WA. All but one courses were deep fried. We were placed under an extraction hood so that is was not possible to understand the explanations of the waitresses. There are much nicer places in Margret River where you can eat better at 30% of the price.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Firstly, let me say that this top restaurant is at the back of a very unassuming building, so make sure you don't walk straight past. We had the tasting menu and the early courses have small tasting portions which were beautiful flavours and looked amazing. I particularly enjoyed the mango tempura and wasabi yoghurt. The guys in our group were getting a little worried about the small portions, but the main courses were all substantial and again very innovative with great ingredients and flavours. To finish we had a fabulous passionfruit semifreddo with wasabi praline. It was sublime. The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly and we were able to take our own wine which was a bonus in Margaret River. (However the wine list at the restaurant is very good with all the beautiful local wines) PS We made a reservation one month prior to our visit, as it is hard to get into. Hope you enjoy.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Miki prepares you a surprise menu and every bite is an explosion of tastes. You can enjoy the preparations and nice ambiance in the restaurant. Make reservations.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

Visited after having had to cancel a previous booking. Amazing food and flavours. Caters very well for vegetarians. A very pleasant dining experience. All the dishes were explained by our waitress. Would definitely visit again.

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

We were really looking forward to some innovative Japanese food using beautiful Margaret River produce. Yes the food was attractively arranged on the plate, and yes it was trying very hard to be innovative, but so much of the food was fried, it killed rather than championed the flavours.

The experience felt rushed. Our waitress could not correctly explain the menu (she kept insisting we order Trust Set Menu but when I asked her about the à la carte menu she admitted she was new and didn't know much about it (hence the reason I suspect she kept telling us to order the Trust Set Menu). In order to keep life simple we ordered a Set Menu but partway through my meal when I asked to please change my order from the snapper (tempura) in my main course to the pork loin because my stomach couldn't tolerate more fried food she happily agreed but neglected to tell me it was also fried!

Dessert was very simple, chocolate icecream with candied roasted nuts.

All in all it is unusual to find a Japanese restaurant trying to be innovative in a country town which is 3 hours drive from a main city, but for me it did not live up to such lavish praise and hype.

1  Thank Penny_Cull