“Cheap, old and simple...”
Review of Sunkist Guesthouse

Sunkist Guesthouse
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Very cheap and old, but offcourse in a good way. Don't get surprised if you getting a feeling of been on an overnight visit at your old grandparets house. The building have been used as hotel for 150 years, and have a special charm. The building have a loot of history to tell if wall could talk.
Very simple breakfast, and you share shower and toilet with other residents. it's totally okey considering to the price.
Sunkist have a nice back yard with opportunity to grill.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 May 2017

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in my year in New Zealand. There is a strict check in procedure that closes at 8pm and it is not possible to check in after this time. I was stuck in Auckland traffic on my way to Thames and called the guesthouse to advise my ETA would be 8:30pm and tried to arrange a late check in. The owner did not answer her phone and ignored my voicemail. When I arrived at 8:30pm the owner answered the intercom but would not let me in to the building as I was too late but informed me I would still be charged for my stay. The owner then came to the front door of the building and after shouting at me and telling me off for being late for ten minutes finally let me inside. I would avoid this place like the plague, the women who runs it is arguably one of the most unpleasant people I've ever had to meet.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Cheryl C, Owner at Sunkist Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you had such an unpleasant experience with check-in. We close at 8.00 pm & ask that check-ins are completed by 7.30 pm & only make exceptions for late flights ,accidents & illness, because of staffing problems & costs associated with small guest houses in small towns & is not unusual.
Late arrivals often disturb other guests who may be relaxing at the end of their day. If the ph was not answered, the office had closed for the night so would have been after 8.00 pm. It would have been assumed you were not coming. We do attempt to contact the guest if they have provided a NZ mobile. Once again I can only apologise and am sad your review is so harsh

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Arrived and enquired about accommodation with no prior booking (bed and breakfast). Not a problem! Had a queen room, shared amenities. Lovely old building with interesting history, room spotless as were toilets and showers.
Had to wash our own breakfast dishes which is a first in many, many years of travelling however, owner explained she had hurt her knee and couldn't manage to tidy up after everyone. That's reasonable! Continental breakfast quite acceptable.
Price very reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catefs
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

My husband and I were attending a friend's 50th party in thames and wanted a cheapish place to crash...I was a bit dubious about staying in a backpackers type place as I hadn't done this since travelling in the UK in 1990!
We were pleasantly surprised. Sunkist had some interesting history with a bit of character. The room was spotless, comfortable, roomy and nicely decorated.
The shared communal bathrooms scared me a bit, however they were immaculately clean and the showers were hot.
I would stay again...clean clean clean ....very impressed with how clean.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2017

I stayed here a couple days ago. Clean & tidy with but with an unpleasant host! No free Wifi and no tv on the room, which is ok but not for that price in my opinon. I wouldn't stay here if I had another option!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank gini420

Thank you for your review, we have always had WiFi and for a short period it was user pays but is now avail FOC, we do have a large flat screen TV in our guest lounge plus pool table, games, books, video's and DVD's plus free tea/coffee, towels and continental breakfast.
We have considered TV's in the rooms but also have to consider the risk of high volumes disturbing other guests. We no longer offer backpacker rates and I am sorry if you found me unpleasant.