“Never again”

Anndion Lodge, Apartments & Function Centre
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Whanganui
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Nice rooms, however our group of 16 experienced the following, we run out of hot water to rinse dishes, no hot water for showers in the morning...apparently pilot light goes out (known problem...fix it then!). Not enough cutlery and the worst part was the very drunk, party goes that turned up at 11.30pm and kept us all awake and then fell through a ranchslider window at 3am. A discount for the terrible stay...no just sorry, never again.

Room Tip: If you like your own space find another lodge
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 19 August 2017

I am unbelievably sorry that those incidents occurred during your stay but each and every one would have been eliminated if you had actually talked to me about it at the time, I was over in the lodge on several occasions during your stay so you didnt even need to come to me, I was already there! We were very angry at the guests who broke the window and stayed up late drinking. Unfortunately we cannot predict just who will become a complete moron once they start drinking and who wont. In this instance this drunkard fell through a window long after our usual operating hours and we just simply had no idea this was happening until we were told at 4am.
We take matters like this very seriously and dealt with them immediately they came to our knowledge. I spoke at length the following morning to the organiser of the group that you were in - now he informed me that he was aware of this party group of 4 or so guests and he was up with them until 3am, he advised that they were ok and he felt he had the situation under control. He stated that he had checked on all of his group members and there was no issues and that he would have contacted me if he felt the late stayers needed to be shut down. So I feel your review although mostly accurate is a bit harsh given we had spoken to the groups representative about this and he was wonderfully accepting and reasonable in his plans to deal with any issues. It is very frustrating that your plan of action didnt include speaking to either him or us at the time, or even the next day instead of an anonymous rant on tripadvisor several days later.

Let me honestly and logically reply to each point.
1. nice rooms - thanks, that means a lot
2. no hot water... fix it then! - we are very sorry you had no hot water, the lodge operates on an outdoor furnace, when the wind hits it at a certain angle the pilot light can go out, we have involved all manor of persons and ideas to prevent this occurring. when it does happen (from memory twice only this year) it is simply a matter of telling me and I can relight it - badda bing badda bang hot water 10 minutes later. So it is a minor inconvenience and one that is easily overcome by letting me know. The complete fix is not that simple and involves 10s of thousands of dollars to install a new system, but thank you for your (fix it then!) suggestion, much appreciated. Of note is the original agreement was that we would hold the lodge open to your group and have the entire group back before lunch (after you had checked out) where they could all shower and freshen up again before the final game but that did not eventuate.
3. drunk man through window - I was horrified when we were woken at that time to deal with this broken window, I immediately checked the security footage and saw that he had arrived with his family and they were playing pool and drinking in the lounge from midnight until about 4am when this happened. we cleaned up the mess and put the 2 party goers to bed. If I had been made aware of this group then I would have stopped the noise, stopped the group dead in its tracks absolutely no question about that. We have never had anything like this in the last 10 years of motelling and we were furious when we found out about these clowns being so inconsiderate of others. But again, all it takes is for someone to tell me, I do the final walk through of the lodge at around midnight so they must have arrived back to their rooms just after I had done lock up. If you had taken action at the time instead of a week later then your stay would have been fine but I cannot act if I do not know.
4. a further discount was never discussed, it would definately have been on the table but the stay was discussed at length with the organiser (i am unsure exactly who you are (the writer) - you didnt post a name) and he assured us all was well and he had everything under control.
5. there is a heap of cutlery in the lodge and again .. sigh .. please let us know at the time as we have a commercial kitchen with stacks and stacks of cutlery that can be delivered within about a 3 minute window. It is possible that other guests had used multiple sets of cutlery and some were stored in the dishwasher at the time your group wanted to eat, I will never know because this information is filtering through to me several days later.
In summary - sorry it wasnt the best stay - we are embarrassed about this - if you had told us about the water it would be fixed within 15 minutes, if you had told us about the cutlery it would have been fixed in 3 minutes, if you had told us about the drunk guests it would have been fixed in 10 minutes, if you had not told us about any of those issues but then asked for a discount you likely would have gotten further discount because what happened to you and your group was 100% not acceptable.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Excellent service by the 2 hosts, went out of their way to make our short stay as enjoyable as possible. great value for money and would go again if we had to stopover on the way to Wellington.Close to everything in Whakatane and close to river and walkway across road. We had a back room and was not worried by road noise at all.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Management response:Responded 12 August 2017

Nice one, thank you for the feedback, we work very hard to ensure that everybody has a comfortable stay and we are well pleased to hear we got this one right. Whanganui - Whakatane - tomato - tomaato (curse that auto correct huh) ;)

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Gary & Cathy are excellent Hosts.
We stayed in the 2bdrm Cove Unit - very comfortable. Nice'n'clean. Staff really polite & helpful. Although we didn't spend a lot if time at the Lodge it's a place you can pass time at quite easily & comfortably.
Recommend this Lodge with confidence. You won't be disappointed quite the contrary.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 30 July 2017

How typically Cantabrian to be so nice, thanks a lot for the comments and good luck to the crusaders next week in the final, shame its not the canes ... sigh. So pleased to hear you had a good break :)

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Great place to have a conference and to have one place to stay with all facilities, didn't have to go anywhere for evening meal either :) Conference facilities all set and ready to go in the morning..

Room Tip: The Glass house room was ideal if running conferences right next door easy yo get gear in and out.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 26 July 2017

Thank you Whirlygig - if that is your real name ;) - we put in a lot of time and effort to try to make it nice and easy for everyone, so it means a lot to us when people respond so favourably.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I stayed here for 5 days on a trip to Whanganui. The lodge is excellent and facilities are great. The hosts went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this lodge to anyone looking for a tidy, quiet place to stay.

Room Tip: Very Fast Wifi !
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 12 July 2017

thanx Henry, glad you enjoyed yr stay and we wish you all the best with your upcoming top gun audition :)