“Chicken Tikka - delicious ”

Taaj Indian Restaurant & Cafe
Ranked #55 of 183 Restaurants in Nelson
Price range: US$14 - US$34
Description: Taaj Indian Restaurant & Cafe offers an authentic Indian cuisine with lovely atmosphere and friendly staff.
Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I ordered the Chicken Tika, Garlic Nan and Popadoms with dips) for takeaway.

The Garlic Nan and Popadoms were very nice (standard) but the Chicken in the Tika tastes like it is cooked in a Tandori Oven. It is very good and we have now ordered it twice and will definitely be going back again. Next time we will hopefully dine in as we've been very happy with the food.

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

The whole family loved their meals. We had a variety and shared. Very filling and tasty. Service was fantastic. Would definitely recommend dining here.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

The Taaj Indian restaurant has only been open a few weeks
There are plenty of tables for dining, they also have takeaways
The wait staff are very friendly, but not overly professional.
We were shown to our table with the waitress chewing her way through the mints from the counter, she said she couldn't stop eating them
Our meals arrived promptly. The wait staff checked we were happy with our meals
The food was very good and reasonably priced
We had garlic chicken tikka and chicken tikka for entree.
For a main we shared butter chicken with a sweet creamy tomato base.
Rice is supplied with the main meal
We also had garlic naan, which was thinner than naan we had eaten elsewhere but was nice with plenty of garlic
Naan$3.50
Entree $10 each
Butter chicken main $15.50

We thought quite reasonably priced
Would be great if the wait staff were a little more well spoken and didn't stand around at main counter.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Our first visit to this relatively new restaurant. The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly and attentive. We had a variety of food but probably the standout was the cauliflower starter, it was excellent as were the sweet chilli prawns. My tika masala was very good and the medium was spiced just right, thank you to the waitress who spent some time talking to me about my taste preferences. The vindaloo was a hit with my daughter and the chicken Kadhai was delicious. Thank you to the team, we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

Went the other night for a quick on the run meal. The onion barjjis were fairly average - the cumin and coriander seemed to be missing thus a little bland, however that may be Taaj take on the dish. Mrs had the chicken korma which she liked ,I tasted it, good and rich sauce. I had the rogan josh , I was hoping for a dish on a new level but pretty much the same as Indian Cafe and Mall food hall type rogan josh. Nothing wrong with it but a bit formulaic. I hope I am not being a little too harsh but that's what I felt. There again a cream brûlée is a precise dish and if You order it that's what you expect, not stuffed around with additional flavouring
Maybe I'm looking for some originality
Overall it was good , was asked 5 time by staff what we thought , a bit over the top