Book now! This hotel is likely to sell out soon.
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Trip.comUS$295
Hotels.com
Riu.com
Orbitz.com
6,396 results
All reviews monkey bar fusion restaurant costa rica lobster jacuzzi bath specialty restaurants pool bar zip lining garden view pura vida papagayo restaurant water taxi animal sanctuary nightly shows lunch buffet horseback riding dark sand
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 August 2022

I have stayed at this hotel twice, once in Cancun and another in Costa Rica. Hospitality was amazing! It was my birthday, the hotel staff decorated my room pink and white (my favorite colors). I enjoy this hotel brand so very much

Date of stay: August 2022
Review collected in partnership with riu.com
Reviewed 11 August 2022 via mobile

We traveled with a big party of 45 people. My personal party had 4 people 2 adults and kids ages 14 and 11. Overall the experience was good. Based on your needs your experience may be different. My family like to explore a bit, but also relax and eat good!

1. The water taxi and tour was quite interesting it went from the front of the hotel to Coco beach. We signed up for the water taxi with the hotel the guy on the resort next to the pool. $27 per person wasn’t bad. What was bad was we paid thinking they ran every hour on the hour. Well they didn’t! They put a time for us to return from Coco Beach and the guys on the taxi were quite rude. So basically get a return time and carry your receipt to return. We took a tour and was told by the guy on the resort that kids under 5 were free. As we are departing the activity location which consisted of hot springs, zip lining, water slide and horseback riding all in one day. They were upset because the kids under 5 did activities. We asked before coming and they said it was all good! Bad communication overall. great fun and experience. Get all details prior to departing the hotel/
2. Service in the buffet dining room wasn’t the best especially for breakfast. Well I won’t say everyday. It was the first day of our arrival and a few days after. Omelet station was amazing. There are no mimosas for breakfast,only after 10am. All bars open at 10. There is the 24 hour lounge that you can go make a mimosa and carry along for breakfast.
3. We paid for 3 adults and one kid. We were only given 2 keys and was told we would have to pay $20 for an additional key! That was crazy! Some parties were given 3 keys. It was ridiculous, but oh well.
4. Restaurants~ Japanese restaurant we sat out 30 minutes prior to opening to get in. Service was slow and food was mediocre. The process is unorganized for restaurants. The Italian restaurant was actually quite easy to get in. Steakhouse was good and surprisingly not packed at all! We got in and the food was really good. Glad I went! We didn’t try Krystal’s. Buffet had a new meat daily which was good. They set up lunch by the pool a few days. The steakhouse served lunch and there was a variety of food. Best food was off the resort!
5. We booked at catamaran on the beach with Discover Gaucaste. We were expecting a double decker private boat for 35 people. The boat that showed up was quite small! Not only that the small taxi was small and fit 6 people at a time. We did get our money back. Beware when booking excursions!
6. We caught a cab to Father Roosters! food and drinks were good, but they are rather slow with service! It was nice to get away for a little while to another beach!
7. Wifi was not the best especially at the pool there were a few bartenders in the pool area that were good. Drinks were good at the bar area upstairs. They worked really hard to ensure we stayed good at the pool area even if some of the drinks were watered down.
8. Family rooms were nice, but there is 2 rooms with one shower for both rooms. Wish we had 2 showers but oh well.
9. We did relaxing massages at the gazebo for 25 minutes. It was $55. We got to relax in the jacuzzi prior to massages. We could have done the beach massages but I preferred the resort.
10. Foam party was absolutely the best day! We had to much fun.
overall everything was nice. we walked over to the other hotel. casino is closed after covid

Room tip: no mimosas for breakfast.
1  Thank rikatd
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Rikatd,

Thank you very much for staying with us, we truly appreciate the time you took to write this review.

We are very grateful for your kind remarks.

Indeed, we will take note of your evaluation for further improvements.

Kindest wishes,

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 9 August 2022 via mobile

We’ve had a lovely two weeks in this hotel. The staff are so attentive and friendly. The food was good but the a la carte’s are very hard to book and we often missed out. The rooms needed a little
update too but the overall stay was very good as the location is perfect for the airport and trips!

Reviewed 7 August 2022

My family was looking forward to staying at this hotel for our family vacation. It was a last minute decision but we choose this resort because it was recommended by other family members.
We were packed and ready to go when we received a notification from the airline 6hrs before our flight that our flight was cancelled and rebooked 2 days later. We were only staying for 5 days so we had to choice but to cancel the entire trip. We tried to get a new flight but all were full.
The airline cancelled but they have already refunded our money but the hotel refuses to be understanding in this matter. They won't even speak to me because they said it is out of their hands because I booked with a 3rd party. I would have loved to have booked directly with Riu but the price was unaffordable for me so I went with Expedia's bundle.
I have been back and forth with Expedia and the hotel. I have sent proof of what has happened and the hotel keeps denying my refund.
I even explained that I would have taken a credit as we will be rescheduling our stay.
The airline ruined our vacation but this hotel made matters worse by having no understanding for their customers. This cancellation was our of our hands. I would not recommend anyone to book with them because they took my $1900 and didn't look back.
3rd party of not. I am the customer. I am the one that paid and I am the one that would have been staying at your property.

1  Thank MaMaLu2021
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear MaMaLu2021,

We are very thankful to you for having chosen us for your holidays.

Nonetheless, we regret to read you are not being assisted by the booking channel who processed your reservation. Once again, we would like to explain that when reservations are made by a third company, it is the booking channel who is in charge of the reservation, unfortunately, we cannot answer nor refund on their behalf.

We kindly recommend you to contact them, in order to inform them about your discomfort.

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 7 August 2022

Spacious hotel with lots of space and beds around multiple pools so you can choose to join the fun and noise or relax in a quieter spot.
Staff were amazing especially Monica in the restaurants and Freddy in the entertainments team.
Booking system was a bit of a pain if you don’t like eating dinner before 19:30 but there was plenty of choice in the main buffet which didn’t need a reservation.
Situated on a volcanic sand beach which is not private and so it wasn’t used much. Making the beach private add adding a beach bar would be a good addition.

Date of stay: July 2022